replacement 406 1.9 TD engine

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Lawrence1973
My Cars:

replacement 406 1.9 TD engine

Post by Lawrence1973 »

Hello all,

Recently had some spectacular bad luck with my 406 and to cut a long story short, a piece of metal has managed get into the induction manifold and have fun and larks with the piston, valves and head!

I am after another engine or any bits that anyone might have lurking in their collections! namely- pistons valves, heads........or engines

Lawrence
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Lawrence,

I've been meaining to reply to your email for days and days now :oops:

Been very busy one way and another, paricularly with my V6.

Those were some amazing pictures of an unbelieveable happening :shock: Can I post them on here for others to see?

Will reply shortly...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Lawrence1973
My Cars:

Post by Lawrence1973 »

Feel free, I have some more pictures.

I think I have discovered what the fragment of metal is.........I deduce that the previous pumps armour was attempted to be removed on the car! I am almost 100% certain the metal fragment is a piece of pump armour.

I can only assume it flew off into the induction manifold somewhere and then with full boost from the new pump that I fitted got forced into the head.

The damage is unbelievable! but then, a piece of hardened steel in the combustion chamber........it's bound to be spectacular!

Lorenzo
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Gosh! A piece of the armouring? That's incredible how it got to be there in the first place.

Doubtless the turbo will be wrecked beyond belief.

What are you planning to do with the car? A5 Salvage at Hockliffe should be able to supply a replacement engine but in my experience, they know how to charge...

I'll get thiose pictures posted up as soon as I have a moment...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Lawrence1973
My Cars:

Post by Lawrence1973 »

Yes, they are saying £200 for just the engine. I think that's a bit steep when you have no idea what it's mileage is and all the hassle of fitting the gearbox.

I really don't know what's next! I am trawling the net looking for a respectable deal but it's so precarious. I have thought that maybe replacing the damaged bits might be the way to go. Trouble is, I really am out of my depth there - replacing pistons and all. The head really is toast, I doubt it could be repaired without serious money flowing.

L
dieseldoggy
My Cars:

Re: replacement 406 1.9 TD engine

Post by dieseldoggy »

Lawrence1973 wrote:Hello all,

Recently had some spectacular bad luck with my 406 and to cut a long story short, a piece of metal has managed get into the induction manifold and have fun and larks with the piston, valves and head!

I am after another engine or any bits that anyone might have lurking in their collections! namely- pistons valves, heads........or engines

Lawrence
hi i can help you with some of the bits. your welcome to the stuff just changed mine as head we think was cracked and changed complete engine in end.ive turbo which was good block that was ok as used to start on the button first time.going to split engine tomorrow to see what heads like.it was leaking oil at front top and think that was where problem was has guy blocked that end of return pipe from head off when pipe broke at t piece and think head got to hot there.i'm in london don't know where you are? drop me a line if you want as will be going tomorrow. 07956168488 garry ps it's a DHX code engine.
xantia 19td estate 96-7
Lawrence1973
My Cars:

Post by Lawrence1973 »

Thanks so much for the reply. I have managed to find a nice xantia engine with 61,000 miles on it.
Just installed it only to find that the engine mounting at the timing belt end is slightly different!
I appreciate the offer but should be ok as long as everything fires up ok!

Cheers
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's great news Lawrence :D

The mounts should transfer from the old to the new OK.

If I can be of any assistance, let me know. Not quite so busy nowadays :D
Jim

Lawrence1973
My Cars:

Post by Lawrence1973 »

Cheers Jim

I just swapped the studs onto the mounting bracket....so far as I could tell that is the difference - the length of the studs?

L