Xantia rear door check strap

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Xantia rear door check strap

Post by admiral51 »

Have replaced the damaged n/s/r door on my VSX but the check strap has locked itself in the position of the door shut and now i cant get it to open itself. the door is fine but im assuming the strap has some sort of catch/latch on it.The problem is that to actually remove it and examine it it needs to be in the open position to enable it to be manouvered back into the door :twisted: :twisted:

Any ideas how it latches as have tried to force it open but affraid of damaging door :oops: :oops:

Cheers

Colin
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Oh deep joy :( that's a new one on me, the only solution I can think of if you can't waggle the door open is to try and remove the door card and have a look from inside the door, which in itself won't be easy if you can't open the door :?
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Try to feel it through the door's speaker grille opening. That's got to be easier than removing the whole trim in-situ.
admiral51
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Hi Richard
I must learn to explain myself properly :oops: :oops:

When i put the door on i didnt bolt the check strap in place on the pillar and as i closed the door to check for alignment etc the strap went into the closed door position ie fully retracted :twisted: :twisted:

Now i can open and shut the door ok but i cant get the bolts through the strap to bolt it to the pillar as it wont open itself out and when it gets close to the pillar the door is in the shut position :evil: :evil:

I have removed the straps from previous Xantias so i know they need to in the door open position to enable them to be turned and brought back into the door :cry: :cry:
My problem is i cant get enough of a secure hold on the strap end to try and open it as it would if it were bolted to the pilar and the door was then opened :cry: :cry:

I think i may have to cut the end off and then visit my local scrappy for a replacement unless any one knows of an easier fix :) :)

Colin
ianckt739
My Cars:

Post by ianckt739 »

I had a similar problem with the strap on my front door. Whether it's possible in your case or not I don't know but...

I managed to use a long screw driver to push the rollers that grip the strap apart making it easy to just pull the strap out of the door by hand.

As I say I don't know whether it's possible in your case but it helped me anyway!
01 (Y) F**d Mondeo 2.0 TDDi (Non French I know... when will I learn?)

Previously
52 Citroen C3 1.4 HDi 16v 92bhp
04 Vauxhall Meriva 1.6
(Petrol & non French... never again!)
1997 Peugeot 406 1.9 TD
1998 Peugeot 106D
1995 Peugeot 205D
bonnyman750
My Cars:

Post by bonnyman750 »

HI Colin,

I assume that you cannot get a lot of purchase behind the strap plate as it is too close to the door edge. Could it be possible to fabricate a 'U' shaped double hook out of a (thick) wire coat hanger and put the hooks in the bolt holes of the check strap plate and pull it out...

Just a late night guess :)

HTH

Glyn
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Hi ianckt739

I will give that a try :) :)

Colin