Which C5 Series II for my Dad!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

XantiaExclusiveHDI
My Cars: Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive Saloon - I can't seem to let her go!

Which C5 Series II for my Dad!

Post by XantiaExclusiveHDI »

Hey

I posted this on the CCC forum but thought I'd try here as well...

My Dad is looking for a new Estate after he's had a running list of problems with his current 04 Vectra Estate. I have to say his Vectra is absolutely awful - I hate driving it and that's without any mention of the ongoing issues :lol:

Anyway - I wondered if he might suit a C5. I suggested a series II diesel but would love to hear some owners experiences. Any problems in particular I should look out for? Any particular model that stands out? What is general reliability like?

Saw a nice 2.2HDi Exclusive here:

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/de ... 3335394006

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Chris.
Currently:
2000 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive Saloon (73k)
Previously:
BX 19 TZD Turbo
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

How much do you stand to inherit? :lol:

If I choose a used car for someone, it's reliability is on my head, and thus any unexpected maintenance becomes my burden. Suffice to say, I don't do it often.

If the old fellow genuinely is at a crossroads for choice, why not see if he can take some similar cars on extended test drives, mimicking the journeys he is likely to make? It would help to also see the most neglected ones as they will show weak points of the model.

All that aside - it's your father! Tell him to get out and scandalise. A bright yellow '07 Elise may be a good start. :wink:
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Re: Which C5 Series II for my Dad!

Post by JohnD »

Xantia Exclusive HDI wrote:Hey

Saw a nice 2.2HDi Exclusive here:

Except it isn't a 2.2HDi. It's a 2litre - in fact, the very same model of car that I own. Same age, same colour, same mileage, same engine, same exclusive equipment. But at about a third of the price that I paid! What do I think? It's a great car - drive it gently and it turns in 50mpg on a run. I've done several 1300 mile journeys spread over two days and it's been a comfortable, relaxing experience - compared to my previous 2.1 SX Xantia. So far it's been easy to service. I change the oil & filter every 10K and all it's needed is a new set of pads on the rear. The only fault that has developed is that the opening rear tailgate window has stopped working - but I've never used it, so I put up with it. If the car comes with some guarantee, I would say go for it.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1