C5 adding a petrol fuel filter

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rsdavies
My Cars:

C5 adding a petrol fuel filter

Post by rsdavies »

Petrol C5's do not to have a fuel filter. Given the state of the fuel in the sediment bowl on the bottom of the fuel pump when I drained the tank at the weekend,I am thinking a fuel filter would be a good idea to protect the high pressure side of the system ( I have a HPi engine) has any one fitted an in line fuel filter before?
There seems to be plenty of space above the fuel tank, with an easy access hatch or even under the bonnet after the pressure release valve.
From the first theoretical answer it would appear that there is no fuel filter due to the risk of cavitation to the Hp pump. This leaves the only filtration to a highly sensitive fuel injection system the mesh strainer over the intake to the low pressure pump which is submerged in the tank. So how much of a pressure drop do you get with a in line fuel filter? could the pressure release valve from the pump to the fuel tank be replaced with a higher pressure one to overcome the pressure drop caused by the fuel filter?
a note to theorists C5 Hpi has a pump in the fuel tank that delivers fuel at 5 bar to a High pressure pump driven by the cam shaft there is a pressure release valve in the engine bay before the HP pump.
97 octane/ ron fuel made the performance stunning having been running it on 95 for the 4 months I've had it, still didn't cure the cutting out problem so the local citroen main agent has it to sort out now
Last edited by rsdavies on 11 Jun 2009, 10:41, edited 1 time in total.
Must learn to weld and fix the DS23
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

It is not a good idea to fit a fuel filter before the pump because any restriction will reduce the pressure at the pump inlet and cause cavitation which will cause fuel pump noise and may significantly reduce the life of the pump.

This is particuarly a problem in hot weather, and when the tank is nearly empy and the fuel is hot from being circulated through the engine fuel rail.

I presume that the C5 does have a filter after the pump, if not, it would be a good idea to fit one there.

If you really want to fit a filter before the HP pump, you should fit a LP lift pump (as low as possible compared to the tank) and fit the filter between the LP pump and HP pump.