Xantia Caliper drag

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Xantia Caliper drag

Post by lexi »

I`ve got a very slight drag on the 1.9td estate. Rear N/S.

I have had a go with die grinder to remove ridge at inside circumference of disc. I thought the pads may be sticking on it. The squeak is intermittent. Never get it when raining or roads are wet.

IME N/S rear calipers get more of the grunge and seem to give trouble as a result. I have already renewed a front O/S but that was deffo seizing.

Anyone had issues with the slide before I go back in again. The discs and pads are within spec I think.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If its only squeaking and not getting hot, I wouldn't worry about it. The only thing you can do is take the piston out and clean it. You might get away with squirting some fluid in under the dust seal and levering the piston in and out to free it up.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

sounds like the imfamous corosion build up between the calliper and susp arm, remove calliper clean/remove corosion them follow steve's (myglaren) sudgestion of placeing a thin plastic membrain and grease between calliper and arm, to try and prevent further build up

regards malcolm
dieseldoggy
My Cars:

Post by dieseldoggy »

on mine when it did that i zipp wheeled it all clean and copperslipped it so nothing gets behind it.or you could try that black?grease they use on marine or such like that is imper to water
xantia 19td estate 96-7
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i think it was AndersDK said alloy and copperslip react against each other, so maybe its not good to use it at this point

regards malcolm
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

sounds like the imfamous corosion build up between the calliper and susp arm, remove calliper clean/remove corosion them follow steve's (myglaren) sudgestion of placeing a thin plastic membrain and grease between calliper and arm, to try and prevent further build up
This is the way to go, since the problem is essentially electrolytic in nature. Isolation is needed between anode and cathode, and the electrolyte, which in this case is the contaminated water and salt over the years.
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj