Stalling problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

soccerboss

Stalling problem

Post by soccerboss »

Hi guys.
Got a problem with my synergie. Firstly , after been sat overnight it will struggle to fire up ( not a battery kind of stuggle ) , then after ive been driving a while it sometimes stalls when i slow down for a junction/ traffic lights etc. Then it wil struggle to fire up again unless i leave it a little while.

Any suggestions ??

Cheers.

Ive put new sparks on so i can discount that.
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Re: Stalling problem

Post by MikeT »

soccerboss wrote:Ive put new sparks on so i can discount that.
I wouldn't! I learnt a valuable lesson recently after buying a Halfrauds set of Leads. They fit so poorly, it's impossible to tell if they're making good contact until you drive it for a number of miles.

Ok, you've only changed the plugs but there's two possibles there - you haven't fitted them or the leads properly or you've got a duff plug or two.

Apologies if you've covered these possibilities already.
soccerboss

Post by soccerboss »

its definately not the plugs or battery, ive soken to a couple of mechanics and they are at a loss. i just wondered if anyone had experienced a similar problem.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Welcome to the forum SoccerBoss :D

Three possibilities:

It could be your Idle Control Valve playing up and thus upsetting the idle speed/regulation. It can cause hard starting as this is the only air intake when the engine is idling and your foot is off the accellerator. Try starting with your foot just slightly on the accellerator and see if this helps. This is a common issue. The Idle Control vale usually responds to a clean for a while but replacement is the best couse of action long-term if it proves to be the culprit.

The next possibility is your coolant temperature sensor giving duff information to the engine ECU effectively meaning the engine does not know properly if it is cold, hot or inbetween.

The MAP sensor could be unhappy and not allowing the ECU to regulate the mixture properly and finally, you ma have a manifold air leak upsetting the ECU's ability to correctly regulate fuelling.

Sorry, that was four possibilities :roll:

Does the Engine Management Light remain on for a second or two after starting? If it does, the ECU may contain stored faults and it'll be worth having it read; the diagnostic information provided my help to isolate this problem.

Suprprised that a couple of mechanics are stumped by this :o These are common enough problems.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
soccerboss

Post by soccerboss »

Hi jim
ive just had the manifold replaced because it did have a bad leak! ( car sounded like tank! ) and it needed a new RPM sensor (as the mech' called it) my mate whos a mech' had aquick look last night and he did say there was a stronger smell of petrol than there should be. It will sit idleing quite happy, so i didnt think it would be the idle control valve.

I wasnt aware it could have 'STORED' faults that would affect the running if the defective parts had been replaced.

Cheers for the info by the way.

Steve.