Xantia reverse lights, weird problem.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gotanothergrot

Xantia reverse lights, weird problem.

Post by gotanothergrot »

Reverse lights have not been working for some time so decided to have a look today. I decided to try a test light to establish if any power was getting through.
so with the tailgate raised ,trim removed wires exposed, next thing to put gear shift into reverse, ok now put side lights on................"what the" ignition is off at key and the whole dash, ignition ect all lights up.
Take out of gear, ignition goes out put in gear ignition comes back, twist light switch off ignition goes off.

I dare not try that again encase i blow something, i can live without reverse lights for now.
Has any one experienced a similar problem, and how do i fix??
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The clue here could well be in the tailgate being up. I'd not be surprised to find that you have broken and chafted wires in the concertinas up by the hinges causiing the issues you're having.

Pull the concertinas back and have a look.

If it will help, I can post applicable wiring diagrams. They're a little different for the estate and to be sure of accuracy, I'll beed your RP number and exact model.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
gotanothergrot

Post by gotanothergrot »

Thanks for the quick reply CitroJim i didn't consider that, will post what i find Later.....
Graham
gotanothergrot

Post by gotanothergrot »

This is what i found Jim,

Repair with self amalgamating tape and a block connector.

Hope this is good enough!!

.Image

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.. :)
gotanothergrot

Post by gotanothergrot »

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Pretty conclusive then.... :lol:

One of the jobs I have to do is find out why the HRW on my estate doesn't work any more - I suspect I will find something similar :cry:
Richard W
gotanothergrot

Post by gotanothergrot »

Under the plastic trim just above my photo is where the faston connector is located for the HRW, i unplugged mine to gain a bit of slack, it may just need tightening.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent work Graham :D

Yours had gone rather worse than they usually do. Your tailgate must have seen plenty of use over the years - up and down like a fiddlers elbow :lol: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
gotanothergrot

Post by gotanothergrot »

CitroJim wrote:
up and down like a fiddlers elbow :lol: :lol:
:D
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

When I do a repair like that I prefer to attach a length of new wire to the cut ends, then shove the repairs well into their respective cavities so that it's new wire getting flexed, not the repair.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
gotanothergrot

Post by gotanothergrot »

I didn't think of that, why is it that the obvious most practical solution often eludes us.. :?
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

The polymers in PSA cars seem really temperature sensitive.

I'm yet to see anything like the insulation cracking evidenced, yet my estate tailgate goes up and down many times daily. It must just be warm enough here for the plastics to flex more.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Had a quick look today - sure enough, just the same as Graham's pictures (not quite as bad!) Red wire is broken (presumably the HRW feed) and the heavy green wire has broken insulation. Another job to tackle then.... Wonder why it affects the estates more than the hatches - perhaps the estate door works through a larger angle?
Richard W