Wheel bolts

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Wheel bolts

Post by RichardW »

I fitted the spare to the Xantia yesterday as the front NS tyre was, ahem, illegal :? The rim is a bit rusty, and the tapers for the bolts were too, but I tightened down the wheel nuts evenly as normal. Driving to work this morning there was some vibration, which I initially put down to the tyre being out of round / balance. However, as I was driving round a mini roundabout I heard a slight knocking that rang the 'loose wheel nuts' bell in my head. Stopped a bit down the road and checked them - all 4 were loose and could be turned by hand :shock: Tightened them up again and they have stayed so the further 20 miles to work. Presumably the rust on the tapers had prevented proper tightening, and they had worked loose. Never seen all 4 come undone before though - just as well I stopped when I did. One to be aware of if fitting the spare at any time! I shall grease the tapers on the spare in the future to keep them in better condition :wink:
Richard W
jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane »

I've had this problem too, but it's more due to rust on the back of the wheel where it mates with the hub that the tapers; the tightening of the bolts clears the tapers rather well, but the flange is another matter...
Jonathan
1986 Mercedes Benz 190D 2.5
1979 GS 1220 Club Estate awaiting more welding
1952 David Brown 30D awaiting new liners
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

This is quite a well known problem. I always tighten the wheelnuts up, slacken them off and then retighten to "break" the rust barrier when fitting a spare wheel.

I don't know where the Xantia stores the spare wheel but the Xsara (underslung under the boot floor in the fresh air) is always bad. Compared to the C5 (in a well on the top of the boot floor), the C5 wheel actually looks almost new!
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​