ZX 1.9 TD Very smokey after sat idling

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ajswiss

ZX 1.9 TD Very smokey after sat idling

Post by ajswiss »

Hi

I am new to the forum so please forgive if this has been raised before.

I have a 1994 ZX 1.9 TD. Its a good car and I don't see any reason to change it for a newer one. The only downside is that it can be very very smokey after it has sat idling, even for a short while. The smoke appears during the initial pull away and might be when the turbo kicks in ? The smoke is grey / white and is possibly oil ! Whilst running normally it seems to be fine and there is little noticeable smoke.

I changed the oil and added a bottle of Wynns Stop Smoke oil supplement and this cured the smoking for a few months. Unfortunately it started smoking again and I had to add more Wynns !

Is this a common problem and can it be easily fixed ? Or is it something more serious like a worn turbo or fuel pump ?

Forgot to mention the car uses very little oil and the coolant never needs topping up

Cheers
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

As a quick guess I would say turbo or valve seals. At idle the induction system is under vacuum pulling oil from the seals but as revs rise and the engine comes onto boost it will resist oil leaking from the seals.

Steve.
not applicable
jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane »

How do you drive, and what sort of use does the car get? By this I mean does the car get driven hard, or is it subject to being driven gently/city centre stop start etc?
Jonathan
1986 Mercedes Benz 190D 2.5
1979 GS 1220 Club Estate awaiting more welding
1952 David Brown 30D awaiting new liners
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Welcome to the forum ajswiss :D

Another possibility if the engine has a Lucas DPC injection pump is that the pump has a split boost overfuelling device diaphragm. This is the circular device on the front (as you look at it) with a pipe leading up to the intercooler.

This can be proved by disconnecting the pipe temporarily and seeing if the smoke clears.

If you disconnect the input hose to the intercooler, this will isolate the turbo as a cause.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
ajswiss

Post by ajswiss »

Thanks Jim

Would the problems you have highlighted be temporarily be cured by the addition of the Wynns Stop Smoke ? The addition of this stuff definitely stops the car smoking which makes me wonder if it is seals ????
firstrebel
My Cars:

Post by firstrebel »

My brother had a Transam when he lived in the Bahamas and it smoked. He used Wynn's to stop/reduce the smoke. It does not cure the problem just blocks the gaps caused by wear or damage or component failure. It is very temporary.

Bob
Robert Isaac

1997 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate. 152000 miles
1995 Volvo 855 T5 Auto - Chipped. 186000 miles
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the cold start device/s on ZX's can cause them to smoke if they are not functioning corectly,

regards malcolm
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

I had a ZX 1.4 which did exactly this, it was the valve stem oil seals. Once changed it went away :wink:

Only thing is it wasnt a turbo diesel
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...