Car cleaning and Vomit

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

KP
My Cars:

Car cleaning and Vomit

Post by KP »

Well for the 2nd time one of the nippers has been sick in a Xantia i've owned :(

Now i've tried washing with disinfectant but it still allows the smell to come back after a few hours, tried dettol spray and just leaving the spray to soak in to try and kill the germs but still no luck.

Is there anything else i can use in the car to get the smell out as with the heat wave we are getting its going to get much worse and i have to leave the car in an airport for 2 days this week so the smell may kill me when i come back....
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

Wet extraction and febreeze..
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Leather :) It just washes off...

This brings back memories. Siany was a terrible traveller when she was little and it was one reason I was pleased to loose the 405. She was sick in it so many times.

The total cure for her was my first Xantia. She was never sick again and I'm of the belief that an Activa in particular is especially good for carsickness sufferers.

The smell does go eventually :wink:

Gareth, what do you mean by "wet extraction"?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Do you mean one of those carpet shampoo'er type things?

I never have much luck with them as they always seem to leave the carpet drenched...

Luckily most of it was got by the carpet matts i took from the verso before it was part ex'd and then the back of the driver seat, the headrest and some of the passenger seat :(

I think both Matthew and Evan have had a bout of tummy bug which they then passed onto Rachel last night :( and she still went to work today the little trooper!
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

If it's really bad, you can demolish the seat; remove the "hog rings" and other clips, then wash the actual seat covers and spin/airdry them. The sculpted foam underneath is washable, too, but takes forever to dry fully.

Not sure if it's available in the UK, but detergents with a dash of eucalyptus oil in them are pretty good for deodorising, too.

Old school is to keep the "affected" areas wet and apply a 1/8" poultice of bicarb, scraped off whenever it starts to get a bit crusty and replaced. When it stops drawing up the stain colours, scrape off, then towel (pat) dry. The final dust will brush to loosen, then vacuum off once it's fully dry.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

I've never tried them, but I'd think that one of the products made for clearing pet odours from soft furnishings would do the job.
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

Wet extraction - Using a solution with detergents and odour neutralisers applied to the affected area (or the whole seat, might aswell) agitate with a brush and leave a few minutes, then extract/vacuum the solution out, i've never had a problem with it being drenched it always leaves it slightly damp but in this weather would be dry in 20 minutes!
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

May give that a try then Gareth, the rear bench i cleaned wih fairy liquid(the widest section) and left it to dry yesterday during the evening and was done for this morning.
Just now worried about electrics running thru the rear foot well....

Will get some pet carpet shampoo stuff when i get back from franc and give it a whirl at the weekend one night and see how it goes, leaving the sunroof open the car gets plenty hot inside still but should allow most of the water vapour out the top i hope :)

thanks for the help guys, hopefully my activa wont smell of sick too much longer!!!

Now feel sorry for the poor soul who will be driving it back to the airport when i come back on thursday while its been locked up for 2 days in the glaring heat.....