2.1 injector pump

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dieseldoggy
My Cars:

2.1 injector pump

Post by dieseldoggy »

Hi does anyone know where to source an diesel pump for s reg 2.1 td. saw someone was breaking one on here but can't find it?. Been offered an sx 2.1 estate that needs pump. plus now prob mot plus it'l need tax list goes on!!! £500. looks tidy car tow bar. 90.000.it's lying all ready for pump to go in. Rather just buy a car though that goes.
xantia 19td estate 96-7
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

You are more likely to find one on an XM, although they are getting few and far between but there are a few being broken on ebay. Until '96 the XM used a mechanical pump which are much more reliable than the EPIC type. The Bosch type is best but you will need the injection pipes as well, the early ones had lucas mechanical pumps.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

What is the problem with the pump? Are you really certain it is the pump that is at fault?

The Lucas EPIC on the 2.1 is a brilliant but slightly delicate pump that will tolerate nothing but clean diesel.

It is a very rare pump and was only used on late PSA 2.1TD engines and some Ford Transits so being uncommon, they're hard to find and expensive when you do. They're also very expensive to repair and not really DIY repair friendly unless you are familiar with mechanical pumps.

Be careful that the ones fitted to the Transit Vans may not be compatible.

I have a long-term project, very much on the back-burner at the moment, to fit a mechanical Bosch Pump to a 2.1TD but there are issues. If you are interested in this route I can give some basic advice.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
dieseldoggy
My Cars:

Post by dieseldoggy »

Erm when you lift bonnet and have a looksy theres abit more space under than before???lol.no pumps already been taken out by? place i get my bits from has it.think it came in like that already or his mechanic guy has taken it out? prob as you said started found out HOW much and thought mmmm lets just sell like that? As im sure you know!
xantia 19td estate 96-7
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Ahh, it's gone invisible then :lol:

Perfect candidate for a pump transplant then :wink: The easiest method is to use a late Lucas DPC from say, a 306 1.9TD. You won't need to change injectors or pipes then. If you go for a Bosch pump, you'd need new, matching injectors and pipes.

All you'll really have to do prima-facie is to arrange for a throttle cable to the pump and a very easy de-armour, replace the stop solenoid with a normal one and arrange a switched 12V supply to it.

I think (believe) the old EPIC ECU will have to stay in place to drive the tacho, speedo and control the glowplugs and EGR.

Another advantage of using a Lucas DPC is thay're common and cheap. You might even find one for nearly nothing from a veggy burner who has already carried out a Bosch conversion. DPCs are good pumps bar their veg intolerance.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Will that be OK on a 2.1?
dieseldoggy
My Cars:

Post by dieseldoggy »

Well if your interested or know some who is? i can give you details where it is etc and contact. quite a nice clean car.
xantia 19td estate 96-7
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote:Will that be OK on a 2.1?
Should be Peter as the DPC is rated up to 110BHP and it's easier to adjust the fuelling than on a Bosch and easier to de-armour. Also, it shares the same mounts as the EPIC. I've already checked that a DPC will mount on the 2.1 EPIC cradle.
dieseldoggy wrote:Well if your interested or know some who is?
Sadly not me at this time. I'm still far too occupied with my V6 project and will be for some while yet to consider a new project...

All I can say is that it will be a step into the unknown but a very valuable undertaking and of huge interest and value for all us owners of 2.1TDs. As I say, I can lend technical help and advice on the conversion.
Jim

Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

You learn something evey day :D