1980 HDi 110, how do I change the gearbox oil ??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AirCooledHeaven
Locked user account

1980 HDi 110, how do I change the gearbox oil ??

Post by AirCooledHeaven »

Hi

I have a 1980 Synergie 110 HDi. I'd like to change the gearbox oil but I don't know where the drain and filler plugs are. In fact I don't know if it even has a drain plug? Appreciate it if someone can help me. Also what oil should I use, a mate told me Citroens are picky about gearbox oil, another told me it doesn't matter as long as it's the correct grade. Should I spend extra for synthetic? Should I use an additive like molyslip? Reason for the change is I notice the gearchange is getting a little bit notchy and occasionally when cold 1st gear can be a pain to engage. Its done 110K miles. I asked the garage to change it at the 37K and 75K services (no idea if they did!) but as money is tight I have to do the next service myself.

TIA
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

At 110,000 I'd guess that it might be more likely to be the clutch than the gearbox oil.

Still worth changing if you can find the filler/drain.
Some don't have a drain plug, just a filler and you have to suck the old oil out and replace the amount removed. It can be a bit of a faff.

You are right that the oil is critical, I think it may be Total 75/80 but wait for someone wh actually knows to confirm that.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

im not sure but if it's the same basic box as XANTS and the likes, you will find two drain plugs one under the main gear box houseing, and the other on the under the diff houseing, you will need to drain both sections as when the oil is poured into these box's it goes in through the breather plug hole(breather removed 17mm plastic plug), and overflows into the diff from the main box,

and i think the corect gear oil is of the BV TYPE, im sure Jim will tell you the exact oil and reasons for useing it

regards malcolm

ps.

dose it have an adjustable clutch cable/self adjustting or is it hydraulic, if adjustable first thing i would do is adjust it
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

Are we talking about a manual gearbox or an automatic. If it is manual and similar to the Xantia the correct oil is 75/80. If it is an automatic gearbox that is a completely different oil. I think it is called ATF 4 HP20 and available from Citroen dealers. I changed the Gearbox oil yesterday in my 110 BHP Xantia (3rd gear was notchy) and difficult to engage, no difficulty changing into 3rd now.Drain plug is situated at the bottom of the gearbox and the filler plug is at the rear of the Gearbox, both plugs can be opened with a No 8 sq key. and are the only plugs on the gearbox that take such keys. Like citronut says refill through the breather. Fill until oil flows out of the filler plug.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

For an automatic, the oil is Esso LT 71141. This is the ONLY oil that can be used and on no account must Dexron be used. There is a specific fill procedure which must be followed carefully.

If a manual, the oil is just as critical and as jmd says, it MUST be 75W/80 oil specifically recommended for "Certain Peugeot and Citroen Gearboxes"

Total BV is a well-known product meeting the specification but if you cannot find it, Comma do a good substitute.

If any other oil is used, the quality of the gearchange will suffer badly, especialy when cold and synchromesh damage is a possibility if EP90 is used.

If the gearbox is of the M family, the filler/level plug is virtually inaccessible, being on top of the final drive housing. The best course is to drain the 'box fully from the drain plug (again on the diff housing) and refill a measured amount via the breather on top of the gearbox using a funnel on the end of a length of plastic pipe.

Don't overfill the gearbox.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
HDI Dave
My Cars:

Post by HDI Dave »

CitroJim wrote: If the gearbox is of the M family, the filler/level plug is virtually inaccessible, being on top of the final drive housing. The best course is to drain the 'box fully from the drain plug (again on the diff housing) and refill a measured amount via the breather on top of the gearbox using a funnel on the end of a length of plastic pipe.
^^Aye,tell me about it!
Just spent 2 hours trying to refill my gear oil. Gave up, what a ridiculous hassle.
16mm spanner can just fit on but can't get leverage. Socket fits, but can't get the ratchet on!!
tempted to drill/re tap a new fill bolt...

Jim, is the breather accesable with the air filter off? Ta.

Aircooled,
Hope you get it sorted :) [/i]
1999 Xantia LX 2.0 HDI 110 Rusteration project...
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

A good investment for difficult to get at "oil filler places" is a small Marine Hand Pump - can be picked at any Ship chandlers for about £15 -20. Fit the necessary plastic piping & away you go. Saves a lot of swearing and frustration.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

HDI Dave wrote: Jim, is the breather accesable with the air filter off?
Yes, it is Dave. Well, having said that, access is not the best in finest Xantia tradition :twisted: but it is rather more accessible than the filler/level plug.

Just unscrew the breather and there's a reasonable hole to fill through then.

That's a good idea to use a little hand pump jmd :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
HDI Dave
My Cars:

Post by HDI Dave »

Oops,
was looking at the wrong bolt!!! :oops:
Was next to it,so still a pain.21mm. Real pain in the ass to fill by squeezing the bottle..so...

got a length of pipe into the filler hole and fed it up to my mate at the top of the engine and filled it from there, by gravity :P

oh well, will know for next time :D

Aircooled,
how you getting on then?
1999 Xantia LX 2.0 HDI 110 Rusteration project...