xantia 1.9TD warning light.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Blackdog
My Cars:

xantia 1.9TD warning light.

Post by Blackdog »

Can anyone tell me what the orange warning light on the right hand side off the dash is? Looks like an acorn with oil in the bottom. I've been told I need to drain the water from the fuel filter but no water has come out. The light is still occasionally on?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Blackdog
I.9TD Green xantia estate sx 96.
1.9TD Green xantia estate sx 99.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Not the rear foglight telltale? :shock:
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

The water sensor in the diesel filters in early Xantia's was a known problem and reported false positives.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Pug 205 used to have the same false readings.
If memory serves they ditched the sensor in the end.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The sensor was deleted around 1996. It basically measured the conductivity of the fuel, diesel being an insulator and water being a conductor. The false positives come from tiny water bubbles being trapped in the fuel filter bowl triggering the sensor.

You can disable it by simply pulling the black connector on the botton rear of the filter bowl. In fact, some vehicles produced in the cross-over period have the light, harness and plug but no sensor in the fuel filter.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

9 times out of ten, if I park facing downhill my light is on when I start up. Soon goes out though.
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

The oil level lamp flashes before the level is at the low mark, and more so when parked on a slope.
That’s the top right lamp in the left side cluster in the left picture.
Water in the fuel is the second lamp from top left in the right side cluster, in the right picture.

Image Image
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It's interesting to observe the right-hand light group shows legends for hydractive (the spring symbol) and seatbelt warning.

To the best of my knowledge, I've never seen those functional on any UK spec. Xantia.

I wonder if the hydractive light was once planned to act as a warning of faults on the hydractive ECU? If it was, it would spend most if its time alight!!!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

And what does that symbol between the water in diesel and low windscreen washer level light indicate (the one with the circle and two arrows)?
Jim

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

CitroJim wrote:And what does that symbol between the water in diesel and low windscreen washer level light indicate (the one with the circle and two arrows)?
Ooh, another guessing game 8) I reckon it's a LOW height setting warning to stop you driving off and ripping the exhaust off at the same time.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Looks like a tyre; could it be a tyre rotation interval, or low pressure warning ?
My car has bulbs in some of those, but only the handbrake light does anything.

Here’s another instrument panel … don’t know what from:

2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389