A bit apprehensive....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rmunns
My Cars: 2019 C5 Aircross 2litre diesel, auto.
2018 C4 Pic2 Spacetourer auto. Seems nice so far.
2019 C4 Cactus manual. Didn't like it, lots of niggling points. sold.
2011 C4 Picasso excl. - shaping up to be a disaster, bought June 2019. P/X'd
2009 Citroen C5 X7 exclusive, auto, LHD, 207500km (129000miles) now sold
Citroen Xsara Picasso excl. 2004 2.0 Hdi, RHD, 64000miles. (sold)
Citroen C3 Picasso excl. 2016. sold.
Two Xantias, one petrol, one diesel. sold.

In the past: Renault 16 (in about 1977, for a year). With front pass. seat out transported full bathroom suite from Cambridge to Derby!)
Renault 4TL (in 2011, for a year)

A bit apprehensive....

Post by rmunns »

I've recently posted, singing the praises of my '98 1.8 16V petrol Saloon Xantia. At the right opportunity I will change for another Xantia and have thought I'd like a spec. something like:

estate version
2000 or 2001
diesel
auto
activa
80000km or so (50k miles)

But now I've been looking through the forum I'm a bit more apprehensive about the diesels and major problems that can come up. I can't remembe the details but one version of the diesels in particular appears to be molre troublesome.

Many people, when they hear that UK people have retired to live in France, think 'they must be rich'. Believe me, what with he pound plumetting against the euro and pensions paid in pounds that aint the case. I need a car that isn't going to cost anything at all except fuel oil and a bit of d-i-y servicing.

Perhaps I've been really lucky with the current Xantia and need to be lucky again when I eventually go for a replacement.

Pleae can people give their opinions about the best Xantia version based on the above?
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

Keep it simple and get a 1.9TD or HDi Estate. My TD gave me nearly 2 years of very cheap motoring especially on the veg.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Looking at your list and your desire for low running costs you can rule out Activa's due to poor fuel consumption (mid 20's) and the cost of replacing balancing ram's @ £320+ each, not to mention the issue of the little bush at the bottom of the rear ram @ £160 at regular intervals.

The reliability of auto's can suffer beyond 80,000 miles unless the fluid has been changed regularly and don't expect much beyond mid 20's mpg for fuel consumption on a 2.0 auto estate.

As for unreliable diesels well I'm not too familiar with that personally, my HDi estate has just turned 135,000 miles and run's 100%. Its so economical I'd now feel rather hard done by if it ever returned less than 50 mpg giving a range of beyond 700 miles between fill up's. If I wasn't so pleased with the one I have now I'd be sorely tempted by this one
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Koukku
My Cars:

Post by Koukku »

Also, if you want an auto estate, you can forget Activa. And vice versa. Activa was never available as an automatic, or as an estate.
- V6 Activa / Mini R53 JCW -
h2ocooler
My Cars:

Re: A bit apprehensive....

Post by h2ocooler »

roger.munns wrote:I've recently posted, singing the praises of my '98 1.8 16V petrol Saloon Xantia. At the right opportunity I will change for another Xantia and have thought I'd like a spec. something like:

estate version
2000 or 2001
diesel
auto
activa
80000km or so (50k miles)

But now I've been looking through the forum I'm a bit more apprehensive about the diesels and major problems that can come up. I can't remembe the details but one version of the diesels in particular appears to be molre troublesome.

Many people, when they hear that UK people have retired to live in France, think 'they must be rich'. Believe me, what with he pound plumetting against the euro and pensions paid in pounds that aint the case. I need a car that isn't going to cost anything at all except fuel oil and a bit of d-i-y servicing.

Perhaps I've been really lucky with the current Xantia and need to be lucky again when I eventually go for a replacement.

Pleae can people give their opinions about the best Xantia version based on the above?

Diesels are not really unreliable, all but 1 of my citroens have been oil burners, CX's, BX's Xantia's and now a C5. Treated right the pug/citroen diesel enginge will do 200,000 with no major rebuilds.

Try to avoid the "drive by wire" 2.1TD with the Lucas EPIC pump, been told they can be a bit of a pain, the one in my Xantia would sometimes dissconnect and would drive like a slug for a few miles, no fault lights would come up though, just lacked power and then it would clear.

Like all cars if you change the oil & filter's on time and do the cambelt they will last.

As for Auto's, early BX auto boxes were BAD, they couldnt handle the torque of the diesel lump but the later ones seem to be ok, My C5 has over 180,000 on it and the box is as smooth as silk.

I would say the HDi is the way to go, better fuel economy, better starting (glow plugs are only for the coldest weather) better power etc, just look for one with service history (but avoid one with an excess amount of dealer bills for repairs)

Where in France are you, just in the process of moving my father to france, he's been in Oz for the last 10 years, I looked for a Xantia estate for him but ended up getting a pug 406 HDi.

Regards
Rob
2005 Renault Laguna II Sports Tourer Initiale 2.0 Turbo Auto Estate
2003 Citroen C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive Captains Chair
2007 Renault Megane 1.6VVT Cabriolet Coupe Dynamique
02 C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive Auto Estate (my Dads) DE_FAPPED
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I would avoid an auto diesel if you want any performance and economy and don't want to have to scrap the car when the gearbox fails. The diesels are generally very reliable and long lasting if looked after. The 2.1 diesel is the best of the bunch but with the EPIC pump, can, but possibly wont give problems. I have been running XMs with the 2.1 engine and Bosch mechaincal for 12 years or more and they are vitually bomb proof and can last well into 300k miles. The 1.9 diesel is again very reliable and long lasting if not abused, you should be able to run one for well over 200k, the head gaskets tend to fail at around 150k but once repalced should give no further trouble. Overheating is a killer for them though, make sure the cooling system is in good nick (watch the temperature gauge while testing) many problems are caused by not bleeding the system properly after refilling it, the 2.1 doesn't have that problem due to e redesigned cooling system
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

If your in europe then you may find a rare HDi Activa but as aboove they will cost more in parts. The best thing you can do is ge a 1.9td as Gareth has said. they are as strong as anything and parts are very cheap 2nd hand.
HDi's can be reliable, the one i owned had over 232k on the clock when i sold it on and i put 6k of that on in 5 months without too much problem other than the poor fuel cooler underneath. yes it was very economical but a PITA when that fuel cooler came apart and needing putting right.
The 1.9td's i've had i have bought cheap, run them for a year or so and when they fall apart i scrap them as they were never mint to start with. Yes you can spend the money and get good ones but why do that with something that was going to be a workhorse?

Do you have a specific budget in mind at all?
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

TD 1905 gets my vote.. Simple and robust..

I am on my ... 10th or something and not one has given me any trouble.. Previous ones were used and sold to get newer ones etc..

present Xantia TD was treated to a rebuilt engine last year by me.. Clutch, cambelt, headgasket, valve lap.. the engine was running fine I hasten to add.. but the sun was out for a couple of weeks and I was bored
:D

Waste Veg Oil (I payed 40pence per L last weekend) keeps the price about as low as it can go :lol:

John
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The HDi's are fuel efficient but not as inherently reliable as the 1.9, they can do high mileages but a lot don't without considerable expense.
rmunns
My Cars: 2019 C5 Aircross 2litre diesel, auto.
2018 C4 Pic2 Spacetourer auto. Seems nice so far.
2019 C4 Cactus manual. Didn't like it, lots of niggling points. sold.
2011 C4 Picasso excl. - shaping up to be a disaster, bought June 2019. P/X'd
2009 Citroen C5 X7 exclusive, auto, LHD, 207500km (129000miles) now sold
Citroen Xsara Picasso excl. 2004 2.0 Hdi, RHD, 64000miles. (sold)
Citroen C3 Picasso excl. 2016. sold.
Two Xantias, one petrol, one diesel. sold.

In the past: Renault 16 (in about 1977, for a year). With front pass. seat out transported full bathroom suite from Cambridge to Derby!)
Renault 4TL (in 2011, for a year)

Post by rmunns »

Thanks to all for helpful comments. I'll bear them all in mind (but as always happens, I'll no doubt see an absolutely fantastic bargain but 'wrong' model.

Rob, I'm in Dordogneshire. Where else?
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

jgra1 wrote:Waste Veg Oil (I payed 40pence per L last weekend) keeps the price about as low as it can go :lol:

John
Sorry to take this OT, but presumably that is for clean/dry WVO and not straight from the fryer stuff? If its straight from the fryer that seems a hell of a lot to pay.
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Penguin wrote:
jgra1 wrote:Waste Veg Oil (I payed 40pence per L last weekend) keeps the price about as low as it can go :lol:

John
Sorry to take this OT, but presumably that is for clean/dry WVO and not straight from the fryer stuff? If its straight from the fryer that seems a hell of a lot to pay.
Never use untreated waste oil.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool