xantia 19td headgasket-oil pumping into waterway/header tank

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dieseldoggy
My Cars:

xantia 19td headgasket-oil pumping into waterway/header tank

Post by dieseldoggy »

Got slight prob well major? on my xantia 1.9td.heads leaking oil from front left corner.yes oil seal in head.and oil in water but none in oil water that is.not realy getting over hot.Was thinking of doing myself with friend.but weathers going to be abit s**t this week so looking to get someone to do for me who has workshop. As would have to do roadside if doing ourselves.
Is it really do able like that or do we need to get better access underneath?

wondering what would be a ball park/reasonable figure?
Got one around £300 inc parts timing belt wheels and water pump and have back in two days?.
Also while im at it says about £220 to do clutch.as mines juddery esp if on incline and near top of pedal.
Last edited by dieseldoggy on 01 Jun 2009, 21:11, edited 1 time in total.
xantia 19td estate 96-7
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

£300.00 for a head gasket job sounds very reasonable, you wouldn't get one done on an XM for much less that £1,000. They do occaisionally fail and leak oil rather than a complete gasket failure, but its unusual.
dieseldoggy
My Cars:

Cyl head

Post by dieseldoggy »

Mind you atleast i don't need to take engine out! as manual reckons for 2.1 you need to or remove gearbox? Why ooh why do they have to do these things to us?why can't they just put the engine in round the correct way and drive the rear wheels while they are at it!Like they should be like a proper car.They told us rubbish about makes it compact/more room? like hell it does and it still needs a hump like a transmission tunnel or dam thing will flex all over. :?
xantia 19td estate 96-7
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

that sound fare to cheap for the head job, so i would sudgest it wont be done properly,

just the head job alone should come in around the 500ish mark if a garage were doing the job

also the first thing i would check is you oil cooler, as usualy when these gaskets fail you dont offten get oil/water mixing, but there have been cases reported on here of oil cooler faliure

regards malcolm
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

You can do the 2.1 head in situ, I have, but its a job and a half. Its not so much getting the head off as removing all the ancilliary equipment to get to it, no, not the gearbox.

Yes, rear wheel drive cars were a lot easier!
dieseldoggy
My Cars:

Post by dieseldoggy »

citronut wrote:that sound fare to cheap for the head job, so i would sudgest it wont be done properly,

just the head job alone should come in around the 500ish mark if a garage were doing the job

also the first thing i would check is you oil cooler, as usualy when these gaskets fail you dont offten get oil/water mixing, but there have been cases reported on here of oil cooler faliure

regards malcolm
Hes a private guy does part time with norm job but has proper garage built on house he does look very pro got it fully kitted out always bizzy and knows what hes talking about.as knew about generic faults with them.always done friends cars and been very good.plus also got a brand new head their if i need/want it.

Yes i know about oil cooler problem.got one to put on if it's that as we had all ready been onto that route before this but heads been weeping their for while as thought it was from cam cover leaking but still their after changing that.so could be either or both?
xantia 19td estate 96-7
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

If you reckon he is OK I would go for it then, its a very good price.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

have you checked the cam shaft oil seal belt end

regards malcolm
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

It's probably been well documented here many times but if you're doing a head gasket job then you should have the head skimmed, use new head bolts.

You must also make sure that the block is scrupulously free of old gasket and other crud and then run a tap down the threads for the head bolts to make sure that they don't "bottom out" where the old bolts used to sit.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

pluss have the valves sunk into there seats/head face to the corect minimum depth,or risk valve piston contact,

which will also reqire the re/shimming of the valve clearances,

regards malcolm
h2ocooler
My Cars:

Post by h2ocooler »

And make sure there is an un ending supply of tea/coffee/beer while your doing the work :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
2005 Renault Laguna II Sports Tourer Initiale 2.0 Turbo Auto Estate
2003 Citroen C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive Captains Chair
2007 Renault Megane 1.6VVT Cabriolet Coupe Dynamique
02 C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive Auto Estate (my Dads) DE_FAPPED
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

h2ocooler wrote:And make sure there is an un ending supply of tea/coffee/beer while your doing the work :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
h2ocoole you know you should not mix your drinks TEA HE

regards malcolm
h2ocooler
My Cars:

Post by h2ocooler »

citronut wrote:
h2ocooler wrote:And make sure there is an un ending supply of tea/coffee/beer while your doing the work :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
h2ocoole you know you should not mix your drinks TEA HE

regards malcolm
Oh im bad :oops: :oops: :shock: :shock:

Rob
2005 Renault Laguna II Sports Tourer Initiale 2.0 Turbo Auto Estate
2003 Citroen C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive Captains Chair
2007 Renault Megane 1.6VVT Cabriolet Coupe Dynamique
02 C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive Auto Estate (my Dads) DE_FAPPED
dieseldoggy
My Cars:

oil cooler

Post by dieseldoggy »

Friend took oil cooler of to change filled two inlet pipes with hot water.but didn't go down/leak? tried blowning in with finger over other pipe but didn't seam to do anything either? But after engine had been left from when was running from before it had drawn oil/water back into oil system up over max mark"it did show before empty when dipped".
How much pressure etc would it need etc to be able to see or what would etc you see to say that cooler was ar fault/part of problem???
Going to see about doing gasket tomorrow.just trying to load up bow etc.ready to fire me arrows!
xantia 19td estate 96-7
dieseldoggy
My Cars:

Post by dieseldoggy »

Well its deff headgaskety area/problem as it has pumped oil out of sump into water ways as after half hrs running/driving not much showing on dip stick.
I think hope its where oil seal is in gasket and gone across from there as not losing water only from where oils over filled header tank.
xantia 19td estate 96-7