Why Does

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xantic
My Cars: In the past French ones
54 reg C5 Estate vtr
Picasso 2.0 HDI
X reg Xantia 2.0 Hdi
V reg Xantia Exclusive 2.0 hdi
BX Diesel 1.7
C5 2.2 Diesel exclusive auto.

Why Does

Post by Xantic »

My Xantia start sinking a few seconds after i switch it off..?

Sometimes it can be a few mins but usually starts very soon after parking..It groans a bit like me when i get up in the morning.. :D

Also i have a bit of vibration between 65 to 70 mph..Cannot feel anything through the steering wheel but asume its wheel balancing..What do you think..

I know i could trawl through the posts to find these answers probably but its good to keep you all on your toes.. :lol:

Seriously, We took the Xantia out for a couple of hundred mile drive today, all went well. A really nice warm day for a change, This was a trial for the annual trek to Cornwall which will be happening in 7 weeks but i need everything to be perfect or as near to it so would appreciate your help..

Thanks
Russ..
Jaguar 2.0 Diesel
Peugeot 407 Diesel
LIVING THE DREAM

Russ..
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

My Xantia start sinking a few seconds after i switch it off.
Is that with you still inside of the car, or after getting out? Mine always sink a bit after I get out with ignition on or having just been turned off.
As for the groaning on sinking, I used to have this issue, but replaced the accumulator sphere and its no more, don't know if thats related.

Vibrations between 60~70 would certainly seem like a balance issue, can you drive through the vibration, i.e. at a higher speed it goes away, in which case its almost certainly a balance issue. other possibilities are strangely worn tyres, or slightly buckled wheels, can be caused by hard curb clipping. If you cant feel through steering wheel its likely to be the rear wheels.
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'99 Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive (Green Goblin)
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'98 Xantia 1.8 sx auto with LPG
'00 Xantia Hdi (110) forte
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
'93 Xantia 1.9D lx (my first) R.I.P
Xantic
54 reg C5 Estate vtr
Picasso 2.0 HDI
X reg Xantia 2.0 Hdi
BX Diesel 1.7

Post by Xantic »

Now i am a law abiding citizen and wont even dream of speeding.. :lol:

I did take it up to 80 for a short while but i risked getting thumped by SWMBO.. :lol: It was still there the vibration. I will have a look in the light tomorrow to see if any signs of kerbing.. To me it seems to be the rear wheels too..

As for the sinking, yes as soon as i switch off and get out it seems to sink slowly.. The ride is very smooth while driving but it does take a while to lift up when started first time after being left overnight..

The groaning emulates me, its funny really it makes the sound i want to make but if i do it i get called an old senile git... :D ..Its nice to have compliments... :lol:
Jaguar 2.0 Diesel
Peugeot 407 Diesel
LIVING THE DREAM

Russ..
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

I've always thought that this sinking was normal, my theory is that before the anti sink valves have chance to isolate the suspension circuit, its just the car maintaining the correct ride hight, once you or any weight is removed from the car, the suspension would be to high, so it sinks a little bit, to get back to the correct height. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable could confirm or deny this?

Rising slowly could be a tired pump, possibly a flat accumulator sphere, check the time between the pump cut in when ticking over, should be >15 seconds, if less flat accumulator sphere.
Now i am a law abiding citizen and wont even dream of speeding...
Of course, of course.. I mean I've only ever tried going beyond a 70mph wheel wobble on private land or the autobahn. :wink:
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'99 Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive (Green Goblin)
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'98 Xantia 1.8 sx auto with LPG
'00 Xantia Hdi (110) forte
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
'93 Xantia 1.9D lx (my first) R.I.P
Xantic
54 reg C5 Estate vtr
Picasso 2.0 HDI
X reg Xantia 2.0 Hdi
BX Diesel 1.7

Post by Xantic »

Perhaps your right and its me being paranoid about the sinking,,Suppose i am just trying to find problems as most cars a few weeks or days before you go on holidays tend to give some problem or other..

Anyway, I am delighted with the Xantia especially after having the Omega Elite i am suprised i have been won over by the Xantia but of course it is the Exclusive model and a 110 HDI..Plenty of go but economical..

Looking forward to doing approx 1k to 1.5k of miles on holidays in her..

This is a photo from today approx 1 min after knocking off, Am i paranoid or does it look normal.. :?

Jaguar 2.0 Diesel
Peugeot 407 Diesel
LIVING THE DREAM

Russ..
ianckt739
My Cars:

Post by ianckt739 »

I can't give any advice about the height issue I'm afraid but I have to say that is a stunning photo... I have a desire to go out and buy a xantia now!
01 (Y) F**d Mondeo 2.0 TDDi (Non French I know... when will I learn?)

Previously
52 Citroen C3 1.4 HDi 16v 92bhp
04 Vauxhall Meriva 1.6
(Petrol & non French... never again!)
1997 Peugeot 406 1.9 TD
1998 Peugeot 106D
1995 Peugeot 205D
Xantic
54 reg C5 Estate vtr
Picasso 2.0 HDI
X reg Xantia 2.0 Hdi
BX Diesel 1.7

Post by Xantic »

ianckt739 wrote:I can't give any advice about the height issue I'm afraid but I have to say that is a stunning photo... I have a desire to go out and buy a xantia now!
Thank you for the compliment on the photo..

I probably take more photos than most people as it is a hobby of mine..

I will have to start a blog along with photos of my escapades around the country, but, i will only include the Citroen journeys..

I am lucky enough to travel all over the UK and Europe with my job and the camera goes with me every where..

If my photo inspires you to buy an Xantia then so be it..You will not be dissapointed..
Thank you once again.
Jaguar 2.0 Diesel
Peugeot 407 Diesel
LIVING THE DREAM

Russ..
JamesQB
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 1.8 - I miss this car a lot.

Post by JamesQB »

I really don't think you need that nice silver 110bhp Xantia...no, definitely not. Now, look into the eyes, not around the eyes, not around the eyes, look into the eyes - you're under. You're going to drive that Xantia to my house, sign the V5C and get the bus home. You'll never remember owning one and believe that she who commands is only hitting you for fun. 1, 2, 3, you're back in the room. :lol:
Honda Civic 2.2 CDTi 2006
Peugeot 407 2.0 HDi 2007
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

JamesQB wrote:I really don't think you need that nice silver 110bhp Xantia...no, definitely not. Now, look into the eyes, not around the eyes, not around the eyes, look into the eyes - you're under. You're going to drive that Xantia to my house, sign the V5C and get the bus home. You'll never remember owning one and believe that she who commands is only hitting you for fun. 1, 2, 3, you're back in the room. :lol:
Nice one :lol: :lol: :lol:
Xantic wrote:Am i paranoid or does it look normal.. :?
Maybe you are paranoid as it looks perfectly normal to me :lol:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

BTW another source of the vibration you mention is driveshafts.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Xantic
54 reg C5 Estate vtr
Picasso 2.0 HDI
X reg Xantia 2.0 Hdi
BX Diesel 1.7

Post by Xantic »

DickieG wrote:BTW another source of the vibration you mention is driveshafts.
I would have thought the vibration would be felt through the steering wheel if driveshafts were to blame..Just my thoughts..

Now i am only just getting used to being paranoid without the added worry about driveshafts.. Where's my pills.. :D ..
Jaguar 2.0 Diesel
Peugeot 407 Diesel
LIVING THE DREAM

Russ..
XantiaExclusiveHDI
My Cars: Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive Saloon - I can't seem to let her go!

Post by XantiaExclusiveHDI »

Hello from a fellow Xantia HDI Exclusive owner :)

My car sinks too after I stop the engine and disembark. However it's usually because the car rises a little when you get out - which is not that noticeable unless you're watching for it. Only when you are outside do you tend to notice the car sinking back to it's previous ride height - I assume the anti-sink valves take over once the accumulator pressure drops below a certain value.

On the vibration front - I've had two Xantias now which have the no-through hole alloys. They are notoriously difficult to balance without the correct equipment / operative and I've had plenty of trouble in the past with mine. I've just had four new tyres and had them balanced by my local HiQ dealer who fortunately had the correct fitment for his balancing machine and had plenty of experience with this type of wheel in the past.
Even so I still have a very minor vibration between 70 and 80mph. It's not too bad though and I think I'll leave the tyres to bed in a little before I decide if it needs looking at again.

Whilst we're in the glory of Xantia admiration - here's my little buddy :P

Chris.
Currently:
2000 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive Saloon (73k)
Previously:
BX 19 TZD Turbo
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Sid_the_Squid wrote:I've always thought that this sinking was normal, my theory is that before the anti sink valves have chance to isolate the suspension circuit, its just the car maintaining the correct ride hight, once you or any weight is removed from the car, the suspension would be to high, so it sinks a little bit, to get back to the correct height. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable could confirm or deny this?
You are spot on :wink:

Rising slowly could be your Xantippe in need of a good LHM service job :
Removing the plastic manifold with gauze filters and clean well in petrol.
Especially on the inside of the filters as they tend to get hairy.
Use a soft brush.
The gauze filters are intended for re-use, but are available at your dealer at low cost should they been torn in the gauze.
Empty the lHM container and clean the container inside.
Discard the old fluid an refill with fresh fluid.

This service should be done every 38Kmiles.

I guarantee a much faster rising of your Xantippe afterwards.
Like a miracle.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Anders
Would you also recommend a flush with Hydrorincage?
Xantic
54 reg C5 Estate vtr
Picasso 2.0 HDI
X reg Xantia 2.0 Hdi
BX Diesel 1.7

Post by Xantic »

Greetings fellow Xantia Exclusive owner and you have a fine example in the photo ..

Thanks for all the advice everyone, I am less paranoid now for the time being anyway.. :D
Jaguar 2.0 Diesel
Peugeot 407 Diesel
LIVING THE DREAM

Russ..