C5 Cutting out

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rsdavies
My Cars:

C5 Cutting out

Post by rsdavies »

My 2lt estate with the Hpi engine has developed a cutting out problem, it starts it runs it dies, some times it will run long enough to move off and it seems that it will run ok if kept above 2000rpm then when you reach a junction it is hit or miss if it will stay running or just die, it is saying service yellow engine light on display reads asr/esp fault or pollution fault.
As an aside what spark plugs does it take as halfords unhelpfully don't stock either the bosch or the ngk ones for the 2 lt and also I noticed the book says not Hpi next to the ngk ones. I decided to take an old one out to see only to discover that a small plug socket won't go down the hole.
I was going to ask about hard spheres as well but that can wait untill I've sorted this problem
The fault cured its self for a couple of days no warning messages service and engine symbol showing untill this morning when after half a mile in nose to tail traffic when I went to pull away from the lights it died as before same set of warnings.
Tried to drive it home... with service and engine warning on got about 10 miles when it cut out again called the RAC fault code they came up with was P1113, and they say it is either air intake temperature sender or fuel pressure regulator, the deleted the message and I drove it the mile and a half home no problem.
A day later, Went the 15 miles to work and half way home no problem, fault returned having been in flowing but slow traffic 40mph or less for about 5 miles. It runs ok having declared it has an anti pollution fault, it dies when it declares asr/esp fault having cooled thouroughly it seems to run ok again but with the faults present.
Last edited by rsdavies on 28 May 2009, 21:02, edited 2 times in total.
Must learn to weld and fix the DS23
dieseldoggy
My Cars:

welding

Post by dieseldoggy »

Well i can help with welding but other thing no?their was guy stocking bosch ones with 4prongs on ebay if anygood for them
xantia 19td estate 96-7
dieseldoggy
My Cars:

Hpi

Post by dieseldoggy »

Only other thing i thought was if they still have was the idle stepper motor? norm by airfilter area on inlet manifold.they get dirty and used to keep cutting out/would idle.took off squirted carb cleaner init.that was on my pinto inj
xantia 19td estate 96-7
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i agree with dieseldoggy check your idle speed stepper motor, and yes the first stage would be remove it clean with carb cleaner then re/fit and test, but most of the time after cleaning with carb cleaner it will last long enough to proove its the stepper motor at fault, then it almost certainly will die completley, as they dont like carb cleaner up'mm,

good motor factors should be able to source a new one,

or try this company as they are were the factor go anyway

http://www.fuelparts.co.uk/

regards malcolm
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

The 2.0 HPi engine has a motorised throttle body so no stepper motor. Have you had the fault codes read or any diagnostics done ? If you find any fuel pressure related fault codes suspect a faulty high pressure fuel pump which is a common (& expensive) problem on this engine.
rsdavies
My Cars:

Post by rsdavies »

wheeler wrote:The 2.0 HPi engine has a motorised throttle body so no stepper motor. Have you had the fault codes read or any diagnostics done ? If you find any fuel pressure related fault codes suspect a faulty high pressure fuel pump which is a common (& expensive) problem on this engine.
Local citroen main dealer is saying fault is high pressure regulator letting the Hp rail pressure reach 125bar and going for emergency shut down rather than 85 bar and switching the Low pressure pump off.
Having removed the throttle body I was expecting to have to change it to change the AIT sensor it turned out to be a simple plastic plug in on mine not integral as expected. I cleaned the oil ludge from the bore and squirted some switch cleaner int the sensors on the back, once re assembled I noticed the motor is buzzing but not moving anything with the ignition on but the engine not running, once running it appears to be silent, but it isn't the easiest thing to stick your ear on.
Should the new Hp regulator not cure the problem I am thinking this motor may be getting over hot and failing, and the distance it takes to fail gets less with each over heating and cooling.
Must learn to weld and fix the DS23
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

All the motorised throttles make a high pitched buzzing noise with just the ignition on so nothing to worry about there. I would imagine a fault with this unit would almost certainly log a fault relating to it in the ECU memory.
birstall

Post by birstall »

Message deleted - subject to review.
Current: C5 HDI Exclusive Saloon
Past : C5 HPI Exclusive Saloon
C5 HPI Exclusive Est
Xantia 1.9TD VSX
BX 1.7 TZD
bh
My Cars:

XANTIA engine cut out problem (hdi 1997cc)

Post by bh »

My xantia is a 1999 LX model, 1997 cc engine. The car usually runs well without problem, but from time to time i have a cut out problem with the engine.

The engine suddenly and without warning cuts out, this can be at any time or at any speed and at various intervals of time and distance. Sometimes it will cut out as i accelorate or will cut out whilst cruising along. This has happened several times over a couple of years, then without any intervention the problem can disappear for months at a time then reoccur.

When the engine cuts out, I turn off the ignition for several seconds, turn it back on, then engage the starter, the engine then restarts and runs ok. It can then continue to run for hours or minutes, yards or miles, before suddenly cutting out again. VERY DANGEROUS.
All filters are ok as is the fuel.
Anyone any suggestions, before I get killed. bh
BRIXHAMBH