Advice to remove snapped drill

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Advice to remove snapped drill

Post by MikeT »

While trying to drill out a bolt that sheared and left the stud flush in the hole, the drill snapped inside it, also shearing flush. It's a titanium drill bit and trying to drill it out with another titanium drill bit doesn't appear to work.

Is there a proven method to get out of this situation (preferred) or shall I just forget about it and try to fabricate a new bolt hole close by?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That's a tricky one Mike :(

The pros would resort to spark erosion to overcome a difficulty like that. They can do it but you'd have to remove the item and take it to them and I don't believe it'll be fantastically cheap.

What is the part so afflicted? Is it a critical component?

Might be easier to replace the part wholesale...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

Hi Mike, as you've found out, like materials won't cut each other :cry: .

It's difficult to advise you without knowing the size of bolt that sheared, the size of drill that snapped and the component that the sheared bolt is in. But for what it's worth I can think of a number of possible courses of action:

A small Dramel type grinder; a fine (n0 1) oxy-acetelyne nozzle to kill the temper in the drill; a harder drill; a cold chisel applied to the periphery of the sheared bolt to try to unscrew it; as a last resort I'd knock up a trepaning tool from tool steel and trepane around the outside of the drill to give enough room to get purchase on it.

Sorry if this isn't what you're looking for, perhaps one of our experts could be more helpful.

Derek
1999 XM V6 Exclusive, Black
1994 XM 2.0 TurboCT estate, green of course: now gone to no3 son
2004 C3 1.6 auto exclusive with Sensodrive - the wife's but she doesn't like it
1994 ZX 1.8i auto - the wife's new baby

FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

Sorry Jim, I was typing at the same time as you :lol:

Derek
1999 XM V6 Exclusive, Black
1994 XM 2.0 TurboCT estate, green of course: now gone to no3 son
2004 C3 1.6 auto exclusive with Sensodrive - the wife's but she doesn't like it
1994 ZX 1.8i auto - the wife's new baby

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If there is any of the bolt above the surface, weld a nut onto it, you might be able to do this even if its flush as you can weld through the centre of the nut. The heat should also loosen the bolt.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Sorry for the lack of detail. The bolt is one of three that fasten the underside of the bumper skirt. It's a 10mm from memory and the drill bit is 2.5mm. Although I said they snapped the flush, there was some successful drilling meaning the stud is now slightly recessed and the broken drill is also recessed. If I could weld, I doubt I'd get a purchase on it anyway.

I do have a cordless dremel type and that might be my best option but am clueless about which stone material I'd need to grind titanium.

What drill bits are harder than titanium and are they expensive?
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Wouldn't it be easier to simply drill a second hole close by and use a new bolt or loop a cable tie around a new hole?
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

MikeT wrote:Sorry for the lack of detail. The bolt is one of three that fasten the underside of the bumper skirt. It's a 10mm from memory and the drill bit is 2.5mm. Although I said they snapped the flush, there was some successful drilling meaning the stud is now slightly recessed and the broken drill is also recessed. If I could weld, I doubt I'd get a purchase on it anyway.

I do have a cordless dremel type and that might be my best option but am clueless about which stone material I'd need to grind titanium.

What drill bits are harder than titanium and are they expensive?
I'm reasonably sure that a "titanium" drill is in fact High Speed Steel with a titanium coating.

If you have access to a high current arc welder you could use this to either weld a stub on (stub held in electrode holder and applied to bolt) should be able to get quite a solid weld this way although you might like to practice a bit first (both halves of the weld will get red hot over much of their length!)
Or as an alternative if you have a tungsten electrode you could use this as a crude spark erosion device previous caveat applies practice on something unimportant first.

I reckon you will be wasting your time with a grinder I'm sure that there are grinding materials which will touch this although I'm not sure of what, tungsten carbide possibly? but I feel that you may use up a lot of them and I bet they won't be cheap.

Further thought may be off the wall but:----- It does occur to me that a TIG welder used without a wire but with relatively high pressure gas could be used as a super spark errosion device, the arc is drawn between the tungsten electrode and the bolt the gas is used to "blow out" the molten metal. Just a thought.

Cachaciero
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Cobalt drills are even harder than titanium.
So are their pricetags ...

The problem you have now if you keep on drilling, is that your new larger & harder cobalt drillbit will constantly tend to slide sidewards and drill out the softer material in the bolt, not taking out the snapped titanium bit.

And that by itself may quickly snap your new drillbit ...

You will need a very firm support for your powerdrill and hands if you decide to continue drilling to keep it square during the job.
Do not allow the drillbit to tilt sidewards during the job. It wont flex.

Also you should try a much larger dia drillbit, at least 6mm.
The cobalt drillbit must be cooled/lubed during use.
You may use 3in1 or engine oil.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Thank you everyone for your helpful suggestions - it appears I don't have the facilities to try some of the options so I'll look to fabricating a new bolt hole or other fastener.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Seldom does an amateur attempt to remove a broken fastener with embedded drill, end in success. It usually culminates in a somewhat damaged hole with the remaining threaded stub, two broken drill bits and a snapped Ezy-Out added to the mixture.

I believe the bolt is broken inside a weld-on nut or cage nut. Either is pretty simple to renew.
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

Ah, ezy outs, the most useless invention on earth, didnt they realise that if the head has sheared off that maybe the bolt in question is rather reluctant to come out? and that winding something that has all the structural properties of glass but made of the hardest steel in the universe into the stud thats left may not be the best of ideas :lol: this nube has been there before, always, always break the welder out, step away from the ezy outs!!!

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

As noted by others I usually go for building up the bolt with a MIG welder set on a higher than normal setting but used in very short bursts. This has been sucessful on sheared bumper bolts on the XMs rear wrap around bumper. The intense heat certainly helps.

Steve.
not applicable