WANTED: GSA 5 Speed Box & Ami Super Drive Shafts

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantiatdsx
My Cars:

WANTED: GSA 5 Speed Box & Ami Super Drive Shafts

Post by xantiatdsx »

Ok, so after the Waggel meeting in Holland (1000 miles) I need more speed from my AKSuper but without the revs but I want to do it properly and retro/classic as a Sidewinder should be by the experts.

So I have a specific shopping list of bits to get or things to do.

# GSA 5 speed gear box in good condition
# New or Recon Ami Super drive shafts x 2
# Input shalf seal (chevronics best bet?)

I am located in the Midlands (Derby). Would also consider a whole car but i would rather not have to break one for the parts, time, money and space are all an issue! (especailly since the garage roof is now in desperate need of replacement and soaking the contents)

many thanks

TIM

1986 2CV6 Dolly
1976 AKS 400 Sidewinder
2003 Xsara VTS

http://www.international2cvfriends.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane »

I do have a 5 speed GSA box, however do bear in mind that the 5 speed box is a couple of inches longer, and may foul your steering rack depending on how your conversion has been carried out. Not insurmountable if so, but something to consider....

Ami Super driveshafts are getting very hard to find, and are very much a compromise; having no sliding joint as the suspension moves across its travel the shaft pulls out of the joint more than it can comfortably handle causing premature wear (the same type of joint in the GS/A does not suffer this treatment, as the driveshaft is not forced to lengthen/shorten due to the wishbone set up). Given that your van will lean more that an Ami Super due to it's C of G, this will be exacerbated. I therefore recommend that you have a local engineer make you up some adapter rings that permit you to mount normal A series driveshafts to your G type gearbox, which will last longer than Ami Super type and (of course) be far easier to source if you need to replace them in the future.
Jonathan
1986 Mercedes Benz 190D 2.5
1979 GS 1220 Club Estate awaiting more welding
1952 David Brown 30D awaiting new liners
xantiatdsx
My Cars:

Post by xantiatdsx »

hey there,
I now have a 5 speed box and 1 brand new drive shaft. Problem with fitting 2cv shafts is when you pull off the torque through the spined slidy bit causes the splines to twist and lock until you back off the power again...

All should be fine... thanks

still need 1 more drive shaft! anyone?
1986 2CV6 Dolly
1976 AKS 400 Sidewinder
2003 Xsara VTS

http://www.international2cvfriends.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;