Have anybody experience Hydraulic Pipe Burst

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AbangCorp
My Cars:

Have anybody experience Hydraulic Pipe Burst

Post by AbangCorp »

Hi All,

Malaysian weather are hot, i have heard two case happen to one fellow
all because of pipe touching, causing it to burst
and pipe having a hole which leak out lhm

so this mechanic of mine did modification to him
he uses bigger diameter pipe, no more problem to him

My question, anyone have experience this kinda failure
Some mechanic repaired cooling system, the worm type fastener bolt is touching to my hydraulic pipe (metal one) until it caused an inward form to the pipe (very thin, i believe the pipe layer left) luckily the bolt also affected by the pipe

second question, can i proceed this kind of mod
i am afraid, bigger diameter will lead to lower pressure, so different suspension system performance

what do you think, all?
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

I assume your mechanic used a section of larger diameter pipe to repair the section that leaked. No, a larger pipe will not cause lower pressure, it will require more volume but a short repair section will have virtually no effect..

High pressure pipe failure is not unknown but it is invariably caused by either chafing or corrosion. Examination and the appropriate corrective action will prevent both :lol: .

Derek
1999 XM V6 Exclusive, Black
1994 XM 2.0 TurboCT estate, green of course: now gone to no3 son
2004 C3 1.6 auto exclusive with Sensodrive - the wife's but she doesn't like it
1994 ZX 1.8i auto - the wife's new baby

AbangCorp
My Cars:

Post by AbangCorp »

no, my mechanic is doing it for someone else

he replace oem pipes, and change it to a larger diameter pipe, not for repairing leak or hole
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

a larger diamiter pipe will not fit in the OE ports were the pipes terminate, so i dont know what this mechanic has done
regards malcolm
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

I would not change any of the high pressure pipes in the suspension system, unless one is broken. If one is broken only fit with another genuine Citroen replacement not a custom made one.

My first Xantia developed a leak on one of the high pressure pipes, it was a long pipe, part metal and part rubber, and would have been expensive to buy from Citroen so my mechanic and I decided to get well known uk company to fabricate a fix on the pipe. It lasted 1 week before bursting, total loss of system pressure. Long story short, they fixed it again, and it held on for a few weeks before developing a leak again, even worse than when I first took the car to them. So net result car still leaked LHM like mad and I had spent £££ for nothing. Car was scrapped shortly afterwards.

I don't go to that mechanic any more either.
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'99 Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive (Green Goblin)
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'98 Xantia 1.8 sx auto with LPG
'00 Xantia Hdi (110) forte
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
'93 Xantia 1.9D lx (my first) R.I.P
h2ocooler
My Cars:

Post by h2ocooler »

I had the main pressure pipe (metal one) snap as it came out of the pump dumping all the LHM over the engine and on the ground, no way of repairing it as it was flush to the connector and as I am sure i read somewhere that the pressure from the pump is in the region of 2500psi wouldnt have attempted it anyway.
I would be very careful of how the pipe is joined or reduced to fit the original ports if your mechanic's fits the bigger pipes as citronut says, it could end in a big accident if you loose pressure at high speed.
Rob
2005 Renault Laguna II Sports Tourer Initiale 2.0 Turbo Auto Estate
2003 Citroen C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive Captains Chair
2007 Renault Megane 1.6VVT Cabriolet Coupe Dynamique
02 C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive Auto Estate (my Dads) DE_FAPPED
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

FrenchLeave wrote:I assume your mechanic used a section of larger diameter pipe to repair the section that leaked. No, a larger pipe will not cause lower pressure, it will require more volume but a short repair section will have virtually no effect..
Derek
Something often overlooked is that a larger diameter pipe will be under MORE strain for a given pressure than a smaller diameter pipe, since pressure is force per unit area, for example pounds per square inch.

That's one reason why such small diameter pipes are used for most hydraulic piping on a Citroen - for a given wall thickness a smaller diameter pipe is better able to withstand high pressures, and unless you REALLY need larger diameters for high flow volumes, such as the output of the pump, or the Hydractive pipes from the struts to the hydractive regulator, then it's best to use small diameters...

If a small diameter pipe is replaced with a large one and the wall thickness is not thicker by at least the square (?) of the increase in diameter the pipe will actually be LESS robust against high pressures...

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive