ZX Gearbox jumps out of 5th gear when throttle released

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

IronKlad

ZX Gearbox jumps out of 5th gear when throttle released

Post by IronKlad »

Hi,

I have a ZX 1.9TD Estate P reg (1996) (180k miles).

On Thursday it was driving as normal then all of a sudden I let the throttle off when in 5th gear and it dropped to neutral.

It now does this every time I let the throttle off while driving in 5th.

The gearbox is fine, it makes no noises and even 5th gear seems perfect, it goes in as normal, makes no crunching and is quiet while it drives in 5th.

if I gently hold the gearstick forward (just with one finger) when letting off the throttle it stays in gear fine with no real movement in the stick. Simillally it will not jump out of gear if the clutch is in when I release the throttle.

What could this be? Worn 5th gear? Selector spring stretched?

cheers,
Mark
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Firstly make sure that its going all the way into gear - linkage problem? If so it sounds like wear on the rear bearing or synchro hub. I believe that you can get to fifth gear by removing the end cover in situ - you could on the CX anyway, I managed to repair that one.
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

Check the engine mounts - could be that it's moving too far for the linkage to cope with.
2007 C6 2,7 HDI exclusive 95k
2004 C5 VTR HDI 103k
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Mark and welcome to the forum..

Yes indeed, do check the mounts (especially the rear lower donut mount) and al linkages first as to pull across to fifth is a test of the integrity of the linkages. It's almost certain this is where you'll find the problem.

If not, the good news is that any fifth gear problem can be resolved by simply removeing the tin end cover on the gearbox.

If the problem is not mounts or linkages, I'll suspect a broken synchro hub spring, worn teeth on the suychro or a broken detent spring on the selector fork.

Starting at the third picture down, this page shows some good views of the fitth gear pinions, sleector fork and synchro hub.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...