semi-electronic XUD IP

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Village
My Cars:

semi-electronic XUD IP

Post by Village »

I’ve got a ’96 406 Executive DT with an XUD9 motor. It has the semi-electronic IP, which is the reason for my post.

1) What does the electronic bit do?
2) What symptoms/behaviour would a fault with the leccy bits demonstrate?

The car used to belong to my parents and I’m sure that when they got it it had much more umph (had around 90k on the clock then, knocking on the door of 150k now)

Any hints and/or tips would be gratefully received.

Cheers
Pete
French car free zone....
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Here's a thread with some very useful info from Jim :)

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=26961

This one mentions what can happen depending on how it fails

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=26968

Basically it adjusts the timing of the pump, and if it fails due to one of the sensors dying, it can go full retarded or full advanced giving lackluster performance or sound like a bag of nails.
Jenny had a problem with her needle-lift sensor, most of the time she'd start ok and give good performance, but now and again she'd start and idle erratically.

If there's nothing actually wrong (ie both your TDC and needle-lift sensors are working), then you could just need an italian tune up.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

To add to the links Xac has already posted, there is some more useful information in this thread...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

After so many thousands of miles I'm thinking how gooey the inlet might be. Has the car got EGR and has it been disabled? Any air restriction will limit the power, including dirty air filter which sometimes gets overlooked.
crossy2425

Post by crossy2425 »

Mike, not sure if your following my other thread entitled 'XUD engine problem'..... http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=26968

but if your not, I have found the vaccum 'solenoid' to my fast start does not work. ie it does not 'open'.

Now when I was delving into the engine bay, I noticed another identical 'solenoid' nestled on the bulkhead.
I presume this is for the EGR system on this car (98 406 GLX).

Above you mention about disabling the EGR. My plan was to swap the two solenoids as I beleieve the EGR one works on my car, this disabling the EGR.....would it be as simple as that to disable?
Presumably with the engine off the EGR valve is closed and if it cant vaccum (faulty solenoid) then it wont work.

Or am I miles off.

:shock:
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Crossy, the two solenoids (means you do have EGR, yes) have different connector matings so you'd have to "modify" it or the connector to get one to fit the other. However, just disconnecting the EGR solenoid should stop the EGR valve ever opening again, assuming it's not stuck partly open.

However, the deed has been done and there is probably a lot of oily goo restricting the intake.