1996 406 problems, help

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

solorider

1996 406 problems, help

Post by solorider »

i have a 1996 1.8 lx 406,i have a problem with the instruments and a buzzing from the heater area.
the instruments dont work except for the temp gauge,i have no rev counter,speedo or fuel gauge,nor do i have the mileometer display,it is blank,i went to a scrap yard and got a second hand set of clocks,the rev counter went to 2 k revs and stayed there,i stripped the clocks down to check for any damage or corrosion that could cause this but found nothing obvious,i put the rebuilt clocks back in and the rev counter was still stuck at 2k revs (it goes to zero when off) but the clocks were working,i looked away and tooted the horn andwhen i looked down the clocks were no longer working,the miles display is blank.also when the clocks were working the miles display did not illuminate properly unless the lights were turned on,and only dimly,i have tried new bulbs with no difference,any help would be appreciated.

now my next problem,i have a buzzing from the heater box area,it seems to change tone slightly when you move the air recirculation button.

also how do you remove the glove box,after going to the scrapyard it seems you have to remove the dash to get to 3 screws?
solorider

Post by solorider »

anyone??? this car is getting on my nerves,
at the moment I have no speedo,rev counter,mileometer and fuel guage,also I have no warning lights except for stop and lights on and indicaters,everything else is dead,I have stripped the clocks and check and have found nothing wrong,I have checked the connection between the ribbon and found nothing wrong,I have 2 sets of clocks and have found nothing wrong with both,one set did woork for a few minutes
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the speedo has its signal sent from a transducer fitted on the diff houseing were a speedo cable would normaly go, i think for the rev counter it has a pole sensor fitted in the clutch houseing pointing to the flywheel,

i dont know if or were they might be linked, but there may be an instrument panle fuse

regards malcolm
solorider

Post by solorider »

thw problem i have is not a sensor problem,it is either the instruments or the power or wiring to the clocks,does anyone have an idea as i cannot find anything wrong with the clocks.
does anyone have a wirung diagram for the 1996 406?
George

Post by George »

I'd be looking for a dodgy earth.