Xantia Alloy Wheel Balancing & Tyres

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

XantiaExclusiveHDI
My Cars: Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive Saloon - I can't seem to let her go!

Xantia Alloy Wheel Balancing & Tyres

Post by XantiaExclusiveHDI »

Hi all!

Well after sorting the timing belt and water pump my MOT is now due :o

I just wondered if anyone could recommend one of the nationals that can properly balance Xantia Alloys? I tried three diffreent places with my last Xantia - and none of them could balance the wheels properly given they don't have a through fixing for attaching to the balancing machines. Kwik Fit did have an adaptor which they tried - but they failed to balance the wheels and refunded me!
Also what would you recommend for tyres? I would like to go for eagles again but would be open to cheaper alternatives :)

Thanks!

C.
Currently:
2000 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive Saloon (73k)
Previously:
BX 19 TZD Turbo
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Try your Citroen dealer - you may be surprised!
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

myglaren wrote:Try your Citroen dealer - you may be surprised!
I was, they charged £30 to balance 2 wheels, which ended up worse than when they started!

I have found my local STS to be OK, it seems to take 2 attempts, but they do eventually get it right.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I too used ATS and was quite happy with the result.
It is the same with the dealers though, some are btter than others.

I have read of people being very pleasantly surprised at the cost of tyres and the fitting service at some of the dealers.

Conversly, not all ATS branches are as good as they ought to be. I was probably lucky.

I went there as I was run off the road. Didn't care what the cost was going to be*, just neded the tracking and balancing done ASAP and nowhere else that was open could do it at the time.

It was £35 for tracking and balancing both front wheels.

I returned there a few months later for a pair of Vredestein tyres, tracking and balancing.
That was £172. It includes insurance on the tyres and free roadside puncture repair nationwide.

It also included a free tracking recheck that I never bothered to follow through with. As did the first tracking adjustment (miles out).

*the idiot who ran me off the road was paying. Lucky for him he wheels weren't bent, or worse.
XantiaExclusiveHDI

Hey guys - Thanks!

Yes I do mean the wheels without the removable centre cover. I also meant 'Michelin Energy' not Eagles :oops:
Well I have an ATS just down the road so I will give them a call over the weekend to see what they can quote. I see they have an offer on for 30% off Michelins - only if you buy four tyres though :shock:

Will let you know how I get on...

C.
Currently:
Previously:
BX 19 TZD Turbo
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

I found that it doesn't always matter if the fitting company have the necessary equipment if they let loose an incompetent operator on it !!!
In the Birmingham area I can recommend BMTR and they charge £10.0 per wheel.

http://www.bmtr.co.uk/contact.htm

Ian
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
XantiaExclusiveHDI

Well ATS said they do have the correct tool for the balancing machine to suit my wheels.
Best price I can find for Michelin Energy E3A is 79 quid each which ATS said they would match. I think I need four tyres having looked at them properly which would mean £316 :shock:

I can see their faces now whilst they would be putting them on 'Bloody nutter - the car isn't worth what the tyres are costing' :lol:

Thinking about it - if I'd done the timing belt (correctly) myself in the first place I could have spent the money on the tryes instead :evil:

Two of the original Energys are on the car and have lasted 45K which is quite good I think. So I can't make my mind up what to do!

Don't think I want to open a tyre debate as I'm sure it's been done to death so I'll have a search in the forums for recommendations unless anyone wants to comment!

Thanks

C.
Currently:
Previously:
BX 19 TZD Turbo
den169
My Cars:

Post by den169 »

kWIKFIT also do the citroen wheels without centres But Badly iv'e taken mine back twice and still there not right.If anyone knows a place where they balance the wheels while still on the car in the Bradford area let me know.I think thats the only way i'll get mine right.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

XantiaExclusive:

What size tyres do you have on your Xantia. Im asuming 195/65/15? Or do you have 205/65/15? I cant remember what they use now.

If 195/65/15 you will be able to get energy tyres for under £70. Without asking for any discount. The next size up are more expensive, but £80 a tyres does sound a little high. If yours is a bigger size you probably have a good deal.

Have you looked on any of the online tyre dealers. This one i have heard to be good: www.blackcircles.com. You can choose a fitted price, then when buying online you select where you want them to be fitted (its a local Vauxhall dealer for me) and pick a day for them to be fitted. Nothing should be more simple and they are at a good price, so it would seem, although it would be worth ringing your selected tyre fitter before booking, to ensure they can balance your wheels. Although a lot of places can as a lot of cars have that problem.

Also since your getting 4 new tyres, how about trying the newer Michelin tyre? the E3A is getting on a bit now and is soon to be discontinued. Michelins newer energy tyre is the EnergySaver, i have these on the front of my C5, and i have got to say they do grip! I have no complaints about them, other than the sidewalls are a little too soft for my liking, (that compliments the ride i suppose) but the grip is very good, they are great in the wet and seem to wear quite well. I have the E3A energys on the rear, they are fine but i have had these on another car (on the front) and was slightly less impressed.

If yours is the 195/65/15 size (which most Xantias and Xms are, and my C5 hatch is too), blackcircles are listing the Michelin EnergySaver for £67.78 each - Fitted! Though if you shop around, some tyre places will beat the online price.

Its always nice to stay with michelins with a Citroen, though we rarely do actually. However if you want to try something else, i really recommend Vredestein Sportrac3s. Now you might not have heard of these, but trust me, they are a very good make indeed. The sportrac3s have a V pattern tread, which is very quiet and fantastic in lots of standing water. I had a pair of these fitted to the xm and it improved its drive greatly. Also, Uniroyal tyres seem a popular choice on here. Though i am yet to try those for myself.

Hope that helps.
Chris
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

I've just had a pair of fronts fitted by Mobityre, who cover all of Shropshire (and might be persuaded into Staffs). Being mobile, they came to me (naturally :roll: ), and a pleasant chap did a careful and very competent job of fitting and balancing at £10 a wheel.
Apparently, they are looking to franchise the business in other areas too.
XantiaExclusiveHDI

Citroenmad wrote:XantiaExclusive:

What size tyres do you have on your Xantia. Im asuming 195/65/15? Or do you have 205/65/15? I cant remember what they use now.

If 195/65/15 you will be able to get energy tyres for under £70. Without asking for any discount. The next size up are more expensive, but £80 a tyres does sound a little high. If yours is a bigger size you probably have a good deal.

Thanks guys

They are 205 60 15. I did look at the new Michelin EnergySavers but they are even more expensive :o

I am leaning towards the E3As mainly because they are tried and tested and their wear longevity.

I see the Sportrac 3s are similar in price - but how do they stand up to the wear resistance of the E3As?

Decisions Decisions :roll:

C.

EDIT:

I've just found Camskill are doing supply only Sportrac 3s 205/60/15 91V at 55 quid each :o
Just need to find a friendly local dealer who would fit them for me :)

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php? ... b753s412p0
Currently:
Previously:
BX 19 TZD Turbo
boristhespie
My Cars:

Balancing

Post by boristhespie »

I had a problem with tracking on my C5 and over and over. Took them to everyone but within weeks the wobble would begin again. Tyres wore out at an alarming rate. One set wore out in just over a week. The garage put new ones on and redid the tracking/balance for free. I was shocked at how fast the tyre wore out and how often I had to change tyre generally.

Went to France last year. Needed new tryres to went to the local tyre place and the guy said Pirellis okay. He rebalanced and adjusted the tracking. They have lasted till now, nearly a year and the tyres are bearly worn and the tracking has remained intact. I was told not to necessarily go with Michelines and the Pirellis have been the best so far.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Michelins seem to wear ok, usually about 20K on the front of C5s.

One of the Xms has a new set of Pirelli P6000, they are ok, i wouldnt say they are the best though. Think i prefer the Vredesteins to those.

Cant really comment on the wear, as they have only done about 4K miles, but so far so good.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I have recently changed over to Yoki C-Drives. Compared to the Toyo Transas, they seem slightly less grippy - although it may be partly due to extra tread block height on a newer tyre. They do grip better than previous Uniroyals on the same car, however.

What really stands out, is how differently tyre brands behave at similar pressures. People who doggedly follow the manufacturer's inflation guide are doing themselves a disservice if they don't experiment.
Downunder
My Cars:

Series 11 wheels

Post by Downunder »

I have found that the biggest problem with the later type (no removable centre) is that it doesn't take a lot to distort the wheel. I have been successful in improving the roundness by heating the rim with an oxy torch (carefully) and punching out the inside rim with a compressed air expanding ram. It will reduce the ovality considerably so that the balancing is an easier task. I have found that the ovality can be out by 3 mm, across one direction at right angle to the other (if you know what I mean).

Poor wheel balancing/ovality certainly detracts from an otherwise superb ride. I take the C4 for a drive to remind myself of how good it is.