Fuel Flap stuck -helllp!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Immatoity

Fuel Flap stuck -helllp!

Post by Immatoity »

Hi
I have an M Reg 1.9 Xantia TD.
Fuel light came on as normal this morning -just been to petrol station over road from work (20 miles from home) and was about to fill up when..... fuel cap is stuck - I mean I can't open the flap on the bodywork!!!
God knows why? I have changed one of the front doors but they are not lockable (fuel flap) anyway so why would that affect it?
I cannot get home on the fuel i have left, as it came on half way to work this morning -any ideas (serious ones!)
If i have to force it off will it do much damage?
Very Very desperate here[V]
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Maybe it is gunged up with mud or road salt has caused rust and siezed it. If you can get anything behind it then scrape the muck out. If it will open part way then try a kettle full of hot water poured over the hinge then penetrating oil (WD40 or suchlike) followed by working the flap back and forth until it frees up. DO NOT PANIC! Try and get something between the flap and the bodywork and lever gently. It won't be the end of the world if you break it but it is always nicer to mend rather than mangle your way out of a problem
Immatoity

Post by Immatoity »

a guy I work with says these are connected to Central Locking!
is that right? If so, thats the cause of the problem 100%
still can't get home lol![V]
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

If the Central locking is the problem, You should be able to remove some trim in the back of the car and work the lock by hand. The designers will have allowed for this but they will know where the release motor is sited. I'll hazard a guess that if a couple of dozen twists of the key don't work (always worth a try) then you'll be removing the boot trim which shouldn't be too difficult.
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

The flap is locked via the central locking. It shoots a pin about 2 inches long into a hole in the back of the moulding on the flap. If theres no way you can get the central locking to fire, you could lever it open and if your gentle enough, only break the section the pin locates in.
sv4195
My Cars:

Post by sv4195 »

The hinge went on mine and one from a scrap yard, correct colour, wasn't that expensive so don't worry about breaking it.
Immatoity

Post by Immatoity »

blagged a Dirct Line free callout (Mrs is a member u see)
he sorted it - motor/solenoid has gone so he disconnected it & removed a little nut (which is on my desk)
easy to get from scrapyard? easy to fit?
ps cheers for help guys -I have been lost without this forum[:D]