have all old cars gone up in value

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

meexi
My Cars:

have all old cars gone up in value

Post by meexi »

do you think that because of the budget that if i had a car that was worth £1000 that it should be worth £2000?

this scrappage thing cannot work surely?
2004 C3 XTR HDI 16V 92bhp
2004 Xsara Picasso Exclusive HDI 16V 110bhp
1989 Peugeot J5 Hymer B694 2.5td intercooled 8v 96bhp
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

The small print is that £1000 is from the government and the other £1000 is expected to be paid by the industry.

So look at a car for £18000, expect to get £1000 px for your old banger, and £1000 knocked off paid for out of our taxes.
Many dealerships will give £1000 px anyway (what? a goverment policy that isn't something new? Shirley not?)

Of course that's for a new car, so you've got the extautionate finance payments, the final crippling balloon payment, the fuel costs, the serving costs to keep the warranty up, etc etc.
Personally, I'll stick with Cassy who's 12 years old, costs me next to nothing a year to run, and uses vegetable oil at 75ppl, so is better for the environment than a new car would be.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

As far as I understand it, it's only worth £2000 in part ex if you buy a brand new car. I guess if you were in the market for a new car you could buy an old heap for £100 and then trade that in, but I don't really see the point in scrapping perfectly good cars to bolster the motor trade. Why not just discount every car by two grand.

My AX for example would qualify for this scheme but apart from the dent put in it by my dozy neighbour it's in perfect running order, so why scrap it?

I really don't understand the logic of all this credit crunch recession business. We're in this state because people borrowed more than they could afford to pay back, so the way out it would seem is to encourage people to borrow yet more money to but new cars etc.

The government are borrowing money that we the tax payer have to pay back, to pay the car industry to discount new cars by £2000, encouraging us to borrow more money from the banks, who we are also bailing out.

Personally I would never buy a new car and I certainly wouldn't scrap a perfectly good one, so it's all wasted on me.

Sorry, that tuned into a rant :roll:
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

You can't buy a heap for £100 and trade it in, it has to have been registered in your name for a year.

I half considered buying a new Vectra last year when they were advertising them for under £7k but even my most rose-tinted specs couldn't disguise the fact that it would be a hideously expensive and unreliable thing to run- and that's without considering the grim driving experience.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

The problem I see with this scheme is, who is it aimed at?

If you are running around in a 10 year old car then you are doing it for a reason. Either out of choice or because you can't afford anything newer. Knocking 2 grand off won't change anything for either of these situations.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

imagine the dealerships that will now get stockpiles of old cars that are duff and store them so that in a years time they can use them to negate a part of the pre reg cars they can then sell to you pretending to be discounted when really they are making a nil loss on the car....
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

KP wrote:imagine the dealerships that will now get stockpiles of old cars that are duff and store them so that in a years time they can use them to negate a part of the pre reg cars they can then sell to you pretending to be discounted when really they are making a nil loss on the car....
I suppose the dealerships could store them, and try that way of using the system to their advantage, but surely the cars would have to be in a private individuals name, insured, and used by them.

So, on the other hand you could have a situation where now the salesmen, and women won't get a new car :D 8) (that will sort out their egos), :wink: but an older vehicle to run about in, if the dealer principal wants to do this dodge.

Well that's unless the powers that be do something extra to control it, but as they could not deal with this banking crisis they got us all into, do you think they will manage that?
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Like the other members here, I would not buy a new car, as I do not want to suffer the problems, and cost of depreciation, and the main stealers antics of screwing the customer over.
ACTIVA

citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Might be sticking my head out a bit, but with looming un employment all around us, do we want a Ten grand Debt over us as well as all other things mentioned when we MAY not have a job..

No good for me either, I have a 10 year old car because I prefer value for money!

Especially when my XM V6 12v 1993 gets from Anglesey to Scotland 3 times a year without trying and I see all these 58 and 59 plate USEUALL a BMW or similar at the side of the road broken down!!

Huh huh, nope NOT for me either!!

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

Stempy wrote:Personally I would never buy a new car and I certainly wouldn't scrap a perfectly good one, so it's all wasted on me.
That sums it up for me too... 8)
ImageImage
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Hi All

Just remember that someone has to buy new cars in the first place for there to be any secondhand ones for us lot to buy.

John
Xmexclusive
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Aye, and we thank them them all for saving us money.
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Homer wrote:The problem I see with this scheme is, who is it aimed at?

If you are running around in a 10 year old car then you are doing it for a reason. Either out of choice or because you can't afford anything newer. Knocking 2 grand off won't change anything for either of these situations.
It's aimed at newspaper headlines, die hard new labour voters, and gullable people.
As you say, people with 10 year old cars drive them for a reason, and if you've successfully driven a car around that age you're not likely to be adverse to buying another car around that age.
Basically it looks good as a soundebite, but in reality the takeup won't be that high, which of course is a good thing for the treasury as it means they won't have to fork out much money.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Also cars have other uses :wink: this one that the owner does not want to look after, which looks like a Renault, is also a TV stand.

I suppose if he wanted to look after it the TV would be on the roof rack. :wink:
ACTIVA

_kid_

Post by _kid_ »

agree with everything already said. Here is an interesting and through article on the hj website- it seems there are many regulations to pass (maybe even a limit of 150g/km for the new car- so that rules out most cars from this 'deal').

link to article
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/item.htm?id=6065
currently no citroens :-(
1.4 2000 forte now gone too
xantia 1.8i 16v dimension 1996P now gone,