Xantia HDi 110 - fuelling/boost problems?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

neil123
My Cars: 2001 Xantia 110 Hdi Forte estate - owned from new.
1984 2cv Special
Various modern crap!

Xantia HDi 110 - fuelling/boost problems?

Post by neil123 »

Late, well maintained car, owned from new, now 110k miles. Just back from happily towing a big trailer to and from the south of France, doung 80 most of the way.

She is fine when driven with a very light throttle - sort of 'sneaking up on her' and then boosts as usual and goes fine, but any attempt at wider or sudden throttle openings produces black smoke plumes and slows rather than speeds the car - like trying to accellerate an old petrol manual choke car with the choke full on. New air & fuel filters, oil & filter just before this trip, symptoms came on about 1000 miles onto the trip.

No obvious split hoses, can feel boost pressure in turbo/intercooler line.

Any ideas chaps? MAF??

Cheers Neil
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

A common issue on HDi's is a build up of gunk in the small vacuum hoses running to the two relays located at the O/S/R of the engine bay, one of which controls turbo boost so a good place to start. However personally I would suspect the air flow meter from your description.

Is the engine management light illuminated? Even if it isn't I'd be surprised if the ECU hadn't recorded a fault code so my personal starting point would be to access the ECU with a Lexia diagnostic tool. Obviously dealers have this equipment but then so do several of the members of this forum, whereabouts are you as may have one local to you.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
neil123
1984 2cv Special
Various modern crap!

Post by neil123 »

Hi - thanks for that. Engine Mgt light isn't on. I'm near Newcastle, in North East.

Cheers

Neil
neil123
1984 2cv Special
Various modern crap!

Help!

Post by neil123 »

This car still - 7 months later - hasn't been cured, despite sporadic efforts from my mate's garage. Story so far - EGR valves 'seem okay' - ECU wasn't giving any fault codes even when things were disconnected eg MAF so we sent ECU for repair, fault allegedly 'found' was that a chip on the ECU had burnt out causing it not to trigger fault codes... and was again allegedly repaired, though the repairer claimed a 'host loom' fault had caised ECU to burn out. Made no difference, engine loom removed and checked in minute detail, no damage, reinstalled. Second-hand ECU sourced and recoded to car. Now generates fault codes if things unplugged and appears to be working well - but same 'overfuel'(??) ie excess smoke, refusal to rev under wide throttle openings fault remains as before. Any further thoughts chaps? She's far too good to scrap, had her from new and I want to take her to France to live at my holiday home! Help!
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Have u checked the boost control solenoid and waste gate actuator ?
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Also , the intercooler or hoses to or from it could be blocked , remote possibility but possible.
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
neil123
1984 2cv Special
Various modern crap!

Post by neil123 »

HDI wrote:Have u checked the boost control solenoid and waste gate actuator ?
Erm - not sure. What do they look like, and where are they please?

Thanks to both of you for replying so quickly!

Neil
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Haven't a clue about these cars, but could it be air getting into the fuel lines? You mention you changed the fuel filter, has it sealed up again ok? Had air ingress on my 405 a few times, and it's just like you describe. Smoked lots when you put the foot down and didn't go anywhere. Good for annoying people that were driving too close :D Seems odd it would start right after you did some work on the car.
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

neil123 wrote:
HDI wrote:Have u checked the boost control solenoid and waste gate actuator ?
Erm - not sure. What do they look like, and where are they please?

Thanks to both of you for replying so quickly!

Neil
The soliniods are on the off side suspension turret, just to the right of the Cam belt cover, with vaccuum pipes comming to and from them... the waste gate controller is on the turbo, access from underneath... its like a threaded rod joining two parts of the turbo together, in a SIMPLE basic description, it should be free to move...

Black smoke? Incorrectly burnt fuel, have you had the Plastic sleeves and fireproof washers the injectors sit in checked?? Much easyer on the 2.oi 8v then the 2.2 16v engines.. Is there a sign of plastic looking deposits around any of the injectors??

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

From the symptoms I would be inclined to inadequate air supply. Although I've mentioned boost related items it's always a good idea to check the simplest things first. Check that the air hose to the airfilter box isn't blocked with leaves or what not. Also , hoses can collapse INSIDE and partially block off air intake.
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
neil123
1984 2cv Special
Various modern crap!

Thanks

Post by neil123 »

Cheers all... will do some further checking this weekend and report back. Really appreciate all the help so far>

Neil
neil123
1984 2cv Special
Various modern crap!

Re: Xantia HDi 110 - fuelling/boost problems?

Post by neil123 »

And - a grand total of 3 years after this fault occurred, and after several places had attempted to diagnose at some expense... it's solved!

The EGR valve body had rotted away, allowing gas to pas regardless of 'blanking off' at hoses more easily accessible.

The car has had a lovely rest for 3 years and so is now low mileage!

Kudos to Michael Bonnello of Bonello Auto Services, Stepney Bank Newcastle, who diagnosed/fixed cheaply and has effectively given me back a new car for a couple of hundred quid including diagnoses, the part and fixing a hydaulic pipe that went pop while it was there, top bloke - highly recommended!

I am SO happy this car didn't have to be scrapped!

;-)