Cold start query...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

vince
My Cars:

Cold start query...

Post by vince »

Hi guys, ive got an idea on this one but wanted to share your experiences to check for any other causes...

1996 Xantia TD. When parked overnight, or all day at work, i.e for a time longer than a couple of hours or so, when the car is started it chugs into life is the best way i can descibe it. Plenty smoke too out the back which im guessing is unburnt fuel.

Ive tried leaving turning the key for longer after the glow plug light goes out but it doesnt seem to make any difference. Neither does increasing the revs after starting and keeping them level.

Im thinking duff glow plug(s) due to smoke and the chugging which feels like a cylinder isnt joining in the party straight away.

The problem with this assumption though is that the engine would be just as cold if left for two or three hours or if only a short trip was done then left for a short time, but it starts on the button then with no problems.

One extra thing which has just occured to me is it seems to have gotten worse since doing daily motorway trips using the car for work....

The only known fault engine wise is a very leaky valve cover gasket and a pipe which comes from down below somewhere and leads into the front facing side of the valve (looks like a breather hose)? which may have a split in it.

Thoughts guys?

Thanks
Vince
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

hi Vince, glows would be the first port of call I think..

John
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

yep im with John on this one GLOW PLUGS first, leaky cam cover will not affect the engine running unless it is loosing serious amounts of oil, the only thing will do is make a mess, it is a fairly simple job to replace the cover seal/gasket, the breather pipe is a bit fiddly,

might just as well make job of it whilst doing the glow plugs as your half way there, to doing the cover seal at the same time

regards malcolm
davetherave
My Cars:

Plugs

Post by davetherave »

Had the same thing on my old 1995 xantia, (although it was running on sticky stuff) but plugs are the answer.
(95) XM Silver 2.1td Exclusive.
(87) Cx 2.5 DTR T1 undergoing major cosmetic surgery.
GPZ500s
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Awesome thanks guys,

Anyone near Oldham fancy giving me a hand...aka showing me how to do it :lol:

If not then i will book it into Paris Autos next month when i get paid...

And Citronut, the valve cover has made a right mess of the engine, the sump is covered in sludge...aka burnt oil residue.

Never mind for now, its off to jolly Liverpool again in the morning....I must admit, the car is a joy overall to own and drive =D>
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...