Xantia Rear Brakes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

SLYTZD
My Cars: C4 Grand Picasso

Xantia Rear Brakes

Post by SLYTZD »

Has anyone replaced there Xantia saloon rear disc & caliper with ones from an estate? Do they fit? (They have alot bigger disc, pad & piston.)

http://www.citroen.car-brakes.co.uk/ (A site I found, not used them but has very useful info.)
Simon

'96 Xantia Activa in Silver 95,000
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

I would question why you would want to. While it might not be the case with this change, a car that is "over braked" on the rear can be dangerous. Locking up the rears before the fronts could cause the car to go into sudden over-steer, not nice. OK so the ABS should sort it out and prevent this from happening but its not really good engineering to rely on clever electronics to sort out bad mechanics.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

The saloon mountings have an M9 thread and the estate ones have an M10 thread. I'm not sure how the positions compare but it would be an irreversible conversion even if everything did line up.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

rory_perrett wrote:I would question why you would want to. While it might not be the case with this change, a car that is "over braked" on the rear can be dangerous. Locking up the rears before the fronts could cause the car to go into sudden over-steer, not nice.
I'll second that as my old C15d's had a tendency to do that, one of the best laxatives known to man :shock:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
SLYTZD
My Cars: C4 Grand Picasso

Rear Brake Upgrade

Post by SLYTZD »

The reason for asking is there's a lot of talk on the forums about up rating the front brakes with better performance discs & pads. I’ve read posts saying that the V6 callipers are almost twice as big & will bolt straight on to the front (with new discs) as the Xantia does suffer from brake fade if you drive it hard on stock parts. Nothing's ever mentioned about upgrading the rears though. My thought was not just to up rate the rear because as you say it could upset the brake balance but up rate both. The estate version is approximately 45kg heavier on the rear. I semi-regularly tow with my Activa & it was an idea I was toying with.
Simon

'96 Xantia Activa in Silver 95,000
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I think the only time I've had brake fade from my estate is when the pads are really really low, and I use Milton Keynes as a rally course :)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Koukku
My Cars:

Post by Koukku »

That's an interesting idea. V6 is about 50kg heavier than TCT on the front, and estate is 45kg heavier on the rear, so it should not upset the brake balance of a TCT.

On a V6 the estate rear brakes might upset the balance, but I wonder if it would really make a difference. After all, the rear brakes take their pressure from the rear suspension, so the estate rear brakes fitted on a saloon would not brake as hard as they do on an estate...
- V6 Activa / Mini R53 JCW -