Transfer key blade between fobs

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Re: Transfer key blade between fobs

Post by Ross_K »

superloopy wrote:Hi

I need to move my non-working fob's key to a second fob.

Any easy way to remove the rivet holding the blade or do i just mash it to death :?

Similarly, on the receiving fob how can the blade be refitted?

Looks as if there's a dealer tool for this methinks :(
You're looking for a "FIXING SET" - A + B + C in the diagram below.

9926Q4 is the part number.

As regards getting the old rivet out - I drilled mine out and bashed the new one in with a hammer. No dealer tool required... :D
ImageImage
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Hi All

I find that if you try to drill the pin out sometimes it works and sometimes it spins and melts the plastic case. These days I carefully work the tip of a very small thin bladed electrical screw driver under the rivit or pin head. You cannot tell which it is until you get it released but either will do. A bit of levering and moving position with the screwdriver blade and the key blade is released. The bonus is that 90% of the time you can reuse the pin and key spring. Still the pin kit comes as a pair in a packet for less than £5 if you need one.

John
Xmexclusive
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Forgot to mention that if there is nothing wrong with the top half of the case with the new key then just swap the printed circuit board to the new case.

John
Xmexclusive
craigmanc

Post by craigmanc »

Run a junior hack saw down the side of the plip!! Then that will cut through rivet!!
19 years Citroen Tech. Old School Consultant Technician!!
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

xmexclusive wrote:Forgot to mention that if there is nothing wrong with the top half of the case with the new key then just swap the printed circuit board to the new case.

John
But you will still need a new receiver for the remote function????
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Hi Penguin

The IR receivers are not usually hard coded unless you have very early ones like those fitted to Mk1 XM's. Most mid 90's PSA cars have Kiekert IR2 receivers which can recognise up to two plips. You just point the plip at the receiver and go through the initiation proceedure for a new Plip.

The later RF fitted Citroens are a whole different ball game if you want to maintain original parts. I have managed to overcome the Citroen restriction on no more than two plips on these installations but it is a real pain, as bad as rekeying an Ignition switch to suit a different key. Aftermarket RF two plip kits come cheap (£25ish) and can be fitted successfully to IR cars without any real trouble. They offer the advantage of much greater range and signals that will pass through the car metalwork rather than needing line of sight. With the change to RF Citroen could bury the remote reciever in the dash instead of needing to put it in the roof light.

John

John
Xmexclusive
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I had mine done, both plips were getting very soft and starting to disintegrate.
Called in the dealers
They charged me £17+VAT for the fob and asked if I wanted it fitting so I said OK.
An hour later someone appeared at the counter with a heap of bits and a mountain of paperwork, aske if I wanted it coding to the car.
"Why would I want that" I asked.

"It won't work otherwise"

I-
"It has everday up to now, why should it be any different"

New remotes have to be coded to the car to work"

"It isn't a new remote"

The look on his face was priceless until I explained that they had only shifted the works and keyblade into a new shell.

He had the last laugh though, the so-and-so charged me £10+VAT for the work, which I thought they were doing as a favour.
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

xmexclusive wrote:Hi Penguin

The IR receivers are not usually hard coded unless you have very early ones like those fitted to Mk1 XM's. Most mid 90's PSA cars have Kiekert IR2 receivers which can recognise up to two plips. You just point the plip at the receiver and go through the initiation proceedure for a new Plip.

The later RF fitted Citroens are a whole different ball game if you want to maintain original parts. I have managed to overcome the Citroen restriction on no more than two plips on these installations but it is a real pain, as bad as rekeying an Ignition switch to suit a different key. Aftermarket RF two plip kits come cheap (£25ish) and can be fitted successfully to IR cars without any real trouble. They offer the advantage of much greater range and signals that will pass through the car metalwork rather than needing line of sight. With the change to RF Citroen could bury the remote reciever in the dash instead of needing to put it in the roof light.

John

John
Thanks for the info John, although I am still confused. Lets see if I understand this correctly:

1. The blade contains some sort of code for the ignition that is a real PITA to sort.
2. The remote 'Plipper' can be changed and the receiver 'reprogrammed' to accept it.
3. Best course of action is to, somehow, get hold of another plipper (preferably a pair in our case) and change the blade then reprogram the receiver thing in the roof.

I know my wife would be absolutely delighted if I could get the remote lock/unlock working.

BTW I have the 2 button IR plippers for my Mark 1 Xantia, if this is relevent.
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

If I read the post correctly, we are talking about a Mk1 Xantia IR plip.

In this case, there is no coding of the blade, and the rivet can be removed non-destructively to allow the blade to be moved to a new case (I have done it a couple of times).

The rivet is splt in the middle, and if you put a suitable blade (maybe a wide screwdriver with a thin edge) between the blade and the case, and bend the case a couple of mm, the rivet should just pop apart, or at least enough that you can get a tool directly behind one of the rivet heads to persuade it that last mm.
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

OK, continuing the 'Questions from a moron' theme I have going here......

If I get 2 new plippers (still not sure where I would get one/two), I can take the blade out of the old ones as described above and fit to the new plippers, but what is the coding procedure for the new plippers please?

Thanks for all the help received on all problems Xantia related that I have posted so far.
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Hi Penguin

First treat all ebay offers of Plips for auction with the greatest of care particularly where they tell you the items are security marked and they are not plip programming experts. Bought a few over the years, the odd gem but mostly grief, disappointment, sharp practice and unsatisfactory contact with the worst elements I have found on ebay.

There are at least four designs of Citroen plip each with an unique design of key blade that are not interchangable. These plip key blanks can only be obtained from Citroen and key cutting Citroen cruicform keys is unfortunately another minefield.

There may be some very simple solutions to your needs but there is a real risk we get it wrong with the present waves of detail. I will try to sort out a single posting with a bit more information. May take a few days.

Regards

John
Xmexclusive
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

xmexclusive wrote:Hi Penguin

First treat all ebay offers of Plips for auction with the greatest of care
How true is this! I bought an identical plip on eBay for my C5. Although I managed to change the blade so that it would manually open the doors and turn over the starter motor, the Citroen dealer was unable to reprogramme the ebay plip to my car.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
SLYTZD
My Cars: C4 Grand Picasso

Plip Rivet

Post by SLYTZD »

Simon

'96 Xantia Activa in Silver 95,000
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

OK thanks John. Four different types not interchangeable, Jeez this is a minefield. I think I may just tell the Mrs to deal with the fact that she will have to keep using a key! Having read part of this thread I started to think that this was relatively straight forward, obtain a plipper that looks similar to mine, extract the blade from both plippers, insert my original blade into new plipper (using the fixing kit as posted earlier) and then somehow reprogram the receiver. Alas, this appears to not be the full story :cry: .
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

As far as I know, all UK spec Mk1 Xantia (with alarms) use the same plip, and all Mk1 cars can be reprogrammed to any pair of plips.

I have on 2 occasions bought plips on ebay and both worked OK, but one did have a slightly damaged case which the seller failed to mention.