Xantia Non Starting........? Help needed

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mg46783
My Cars:

Xantia Non Starting........? Help needed

Post by mg46783 »

Hi folks...
I have a 2.0 i petrol N reg Xantia that refuses to start! That said, thats not totally true.. Originally it got so that it was cutting out at junctions and the like, then it got so's it was dicky idling, then it got so's it wouldnt start at all. Then, it "seemed " to flatten its battery..Ive renewed that ( could have been coincidence) - Then it got so's it just would nt star at all...just cranking .. keypad "appears" to work ok.. but NOW, its staring ok...running ok...
but obviously theres a problem somewhere!!!!! I would like to know what it was/is - cos it may well happen again. Plus, does anyone know of any way of getting fault codes out of the thing - ? That would be a start I spose..?
ANY help would be appreciated.
Cheers
Mike
PLUS>..... Im having trouble with the Forum.. I cannot see ANY replies to any posts....if anyone can help with that too please ? Thanks.
reffro
My Cars:

Post by reffro »

I would have a close look at your Hydraulic Pump, my car had the same symptons for a couple of months, OK when first starting, but then cutting out at junctions, hard to restart, lumpy idle, etc etc, then they disappeared. Eventually the idle problem came back with avengance last week, then disappeared again, but I was left with heavy to non-existant power steering and a progressively poorer ride. It looks like the bearings in the pump were on the way out, as they wore, it became progressively harder to turn the pump causing the lumpy idle, and cutting out, as the engine was under increased load and was trying to or was unable to compensate for this. The car would stall as the rev fell sharply, because the ECU was unable to catch the engine before it stalled due to the higher load, if you gently reduced the revs to idle level it would be OK, just about stalling, but eventually idling properly, if at a lower rpm than normal.
Anyway in the end I had a pool of LHM waiting for me last Thursday, when the pump gave up, and its getting a replacement pump fitted today. Keep a close feel on your steering and suspension, plus have a check at the return feed to the LHM tank, look for bubbles/airated fluid as its a tell tale somethings up.
mg46783
My Cars:

Post by mg46783 »

Thanks for you answers fellas....it seems the battery was simply a duff battery.. I changed the NTC sensor and the CAS sensor and it appears cured...so , lets hope ! ( I ve only just seen these answers due to the "replY" probs )...
ANyhow.. fingers tightly crossed !
cheers