Xantia 1.9TD SX 1998 - odd noise after stopping engine?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JamesQB
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 1.8 - I miss this car a lot.

Xantia 1.9TD SX 1998 - odd noise after stopping engine?

Post by JamesQB »

Hi,

Some of you may have seen my post about my parents' Xantia 1.8i 8-valve car that had symptoms of blown head gasket after it got very hot. Wouldn't start after that. I was worried about that, and further investigation showed that somehow the valve timing was out - when crank locked with drill bit, cam was not at 10 o'clock position, but 2 o'clock position. It was fine when I last checked it, so something very bad happened. Haven't personally inspected belt to see if teeth missing. Anyway, told them that I thought it wasn't worth cost of repair what with needed new radiator and cylinder head cover (cracked around a stud), well as head gasket, valve timing change worrying, etc...

Upshot is that they bought a Xantia 1.9TD SX 1998 with 99,000 miles on the clock from some prat in a nearby town. Now found it has lots of problems after no one living around them helped with checking it over and they were finding it hard. Passenger window goes up but not down with local switch, but driver's side switch for passenger window works it. Glovebox handle broken. Neither passenger or driver door unlocking with key - spinning in lock. Key fob completely missing its guts. Anyone got a Haynes that covers Mark 2?! :)

My reason for this post is more to do with what I had described to me on phone from Spain tonight: they say engine is very noisy indeed, but main worry is that when idling on drive, they could here a loud ting-ting-ting noise, something they described as the sound you get when a fan surround isn't placed correctly and the blade keeps catching it. When they switched the engine off, the noise continued, dying away after the engine had already stopped, as though something still moving.

Diesels are not my forté...any idea what that could possibly be, continuing to make noise after the engine has stopped?

Thanks in advance,
James
Honda Civic 2.2 CDTi 2006
Peugeot 407 2.0 HDi 2007
boeingmech

Post by boeingmech »

it could be the alternator pulley, mine has made that sound for years. (1995 1.9td).
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Sounds very much like the cooling fans winding down to me, try turnning off the air conditionning switch on the dashboard, when winding down they sound just like a small jet engine as they reduce their speed.

regards Nigel.
Last edited by falling-out-with-my-car on 07 Apr 2009, 11:08, edited 1 time in total.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Id be more inclined to think its NOT the compressor BUT the COOLING FANS!!

The Air con compressor stops STRAIGHT away with the engine... but the cooling fans continue! Id rather think it was cooling fans..

S2 door lock barrels are VERY much identical to S1's and they are removed in the same way from the door handle...

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

sorry Paul,

yep that make perfect sense because there would be no braking system on the fans. whereas the compressor is directly driven from the crankshaft.

thanks for that Paul. (I have edited the above now it should be correct)

regards Nigel. :oops:
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Easy to check if it's the fans, of course - temporarily disconnect them (remove the fuse), and see if the noise persists. Watch the temp, of course.
The fans may be driven by airflow when the car is moving, so best tested when stationary.
Does the noise occur even on short runs?
JamesQB
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 1.8 - I miss this car a lot.

Post by JamesQB »

I'm not sure if it happens on short runs, will try to find out, but fans sounds right. Are you all referring to the radiator fans? I thought they only came on when engine temp got too high?

As an aside, regarding the driver's door lock having been changed, does anyone know if it'd work should I buy a set of lock barrels and keys from a breakers and fit them? I ask because I'm sure I read somewhere about the key blade containing a coded chip, something I gather the car speaks to and won't start if it isn't right? Just concerned I might change ignition, driver door, passenger door, and boot lock barrels with scrapyard ones only to find car won't start afterwards...
Honda Civic 2.2 CDTi 2006
Peugeot 407 2.0 HDi 2007
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

The chip has NO effect on the external door locks...

ALL it does it TALK to a small BLACK BOX thats screwd to the SIDE of the ignition barrel, behind the steering cowl...

you can't change ALL the locks and ignition barrel, without re-programmming the chip in the key, as the chip is in the BLADE NOT the remote... so in theory I think, you'd need two keys, one for the external door locks, and the original for the ingonition...

You could also get the matching transponder reciver from the donar car, and swap it all over..

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto