Citroenmads Citroen blog.

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

ashy90
Posts: 230
Joined: 22 Oct 2010, 13:51

Re: Citroenmads Citroen blog.

Post by ashy90 »

Citroenmad wrote:
As for Michelin performance, the older E3A Michelin Energy is ok but the wet grip is not as good as many other brands. They are passable but not great. I took them off my Activa as the wet grip was getting poor, tyres always get less grippy with age anyway.

However, the newer Michelins I think are great! We have three cars fitted with the new style Michelin Energy Savers and they grip in the wet very well. Two of our C5s, mine being one, have Michelin Primacy HPs, they again are great tyres and I can not fault the wet grip, dry grip, wear or noise. The only thing I would like is for them to give a slightly better ride, though that would eat into the handling performance. I wish the Primacy HPs were available in the Xantias size, as they are very good tyres but I am more than happy with the Energy Savers. I have tried many tyres and I I always come back to Michelins. They do also suit Citroëns very well and seem to work well with the ride quality. Having experience C5s on many other brands the ride can be very negatively effected. Same in the Xantia, my HDi had Dunlops on the front which sent more bumps into the car than the new Michelins do.

I don't just use Michelins though, my Activa has a pair of Conti PremuimContact2s on the front (great tyres) and a pair of Pirelli P7s on the rear. I generally try and stick to Michelins though, however I do also like some Contis, Pirellis, Toyos and Vredesteins - superb tyres, another possible I thought of for my Xant.

I'll stress that I do not hang about, even in the wet, my tyres get well tested 8-[ :lol:

I certainly have Mark 8-)
Hmm interesting. Perhaps the newer Michelin tyres are indeed an improvment over ones of a few years back. Or, perhaps it is more the case of certain models of Michelins are better than others, and the ones I had being ones that are not so good.

What do you think is the best then? Michelin Energy savers, or Michelin Primacy HP's?

The tyre size I would be after is 185/55/15, or 195/50/15 - which is the cheaper tyre size.
ashy90
Posts: 230
Joined: 22 Oct 2010, 13:51

Re: Citroenmads Citroen blog.

Post by ashy90 »

Citroenmad wrote:
As for Michelin performance, the older E3A Michelin Energy is ok but the wet grip is not as good as many other brands. They are passable but not great. I took them off my Activa as the wet grip was getting poor, tyres always get less grippy with age anyway.

However, the newer Michelins I think are great! We have three cars fitted with the new style Michelin Energy Savers and they grip in the wet very well. Two of our C5s, mine being one, have Michelin Primacy HPs, they again are great tyres and I can not fault the wet grip, dry grip, wear or noise. The only thing I would like is for them to give a slightly better ride, though that would eat into the handling performance. I wish the Primacy HPs were available in the Xantias size, as they are very good tyres but I am more than happy with the Energy Savers. I have tried many tyres and I I always come back to Michelins. They do also suit Citroëns very well and seem to work well with the ride quality. Having experience C5s on many other brands the ride can be very negatively effected. Same in the Xantia, my HDi had Dunlops on the front which sent more bumps into the car than the new Michelins do.

I don't just use Michelins though, my Activa has a pair of Conti PremuimContact2s on the front (great tyres) and a pair of Pirelli P7s on the rear. I generally try and stick to Michelins though, however I do also like some Contis, Pirellis, Toyos and Vredesteins - superb tyres, another possible I thought of for my Xant.

I'll stress that I do not hang about, even in the wet, my tyres get well tested 8-[ :lol:

I certainly have Mark 8-)
Hmm interesting. Perhaps the newer Michelin tyres are indeed an improvment over ones of a few years back. Or, perhaps it is more the case of certain models of Michelins are better than others, and the ones I had being ones that are not so good.

What do you think is the best then? Michelin Energy savers, or Michelin Primacy HP's?

The tyre size I would be after is 185/55/15, or 195/50/15 - which is the cheaper tyre size.
Citroenmad
Posts: 8110
Joined: 04 Dec 2008, 23:08
x 28

Re: Citroenmads Citroen blog.

Post by Citroenmad »

ashy90 wrote: Hmm interesting. Perhaps the newer Michelin tyres are indeed an improvment over ones of a few years back. Or, perhaps it is more the case of certain models of Michelins are better than others, and the ones I had being ones that are not so good.

What do you think is the best then? Michelin Energy savers, or Michelin Primacy HP's?

The tyre size I would be after is 185/55/15, or 195/50/15 - which is the cheaper tyre size.
I have to say that Michelin tyres have never failed to impress me, other than the pair of Energy E3As I have which I think had just aged badly.

Thats not an easy question as they are not generally available in the same size range so I have not tried each on the same car. However due to C5s having different sized wheels dependant on year one of ours has Energy Savers and another Primacy HPs. I find the Energy Savers give the better ride and grip very well but the softsidewall does result in the tyre cornering on the tyre wall if pushed through bends very quickly. The HP resists this more but the ride does seem firmer - again unfair as these are fitted to larger wheels.

So I really like both and would recommend both.

Are those tyre sizes to go on your Xantia? They dont seem quite correct if so. I use the oponeo website for my tyres, check on there for prices.
Citroenmad
Posts: 8110
Joined: 04 Dec 2008, 23:08
x 28

Re: Citroenmads Citroen blog.

Post by Citroenmad »

Well after a couple of weeks of using the HDi Xantia I like it even more. It fits in very well with what I need and want from a car. Im still considering the idea of selling my C5, as the HDi Xantia does everything I need from a daily. However I will be loathed to part with the C5, they really are a great all round car and do have their benefits over the Xantia, likewise the Xantia over the C5. Perhaps one of the things I would miss the most would be the engine. I know the 2.0HDi 110 8v is a very good engine and drives very well but the 2.0HDi 16v 138 has much more performance and torque. The 6 speed box makes for very economical and refined motoring too. So I'm still very much undecided about that.

The last few days I have been using the Activa quite a bit. I'm planning on giving it some attention and some use before the weather gets too bad. Its front OS brake has been binding on so I sorted that today, it was the slider bolt which was dry and not quite free enough. So I cleaned it up, greased the slider, copper slipped the pads and it's now as free as a bird. I’ve also had all the other brakes to bits and copper slipped them.

While the wheels were all off I swapped them to the spare set of Exclusive wheels I have so that I could polish up the Activa wheels and wax them. They are looking much better but need a little bit more work. They ideally could use a refurb but there are more pressing things for my finances at the moment. Three are fairly attractive but I might need to get the fourth refurbished, all will be done at some point.

After a machine polish, not bad for the original paint finish!
Image

Activa Exclusive?
Image

I’ve been looking into which Bilthamber rust prevention products I want, after a bit of research online I think I’ve got my shopping list sorted out there. I’ll do both Xantias with it.

I hope to get the Activa machine polished within the next week or two, I have some new number plates on their way, I'll try and fit the stainless chrome door strips and generally give it the attention it has missed this year due to me having other cars.
User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 43889
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 1780

Re: Citroenmads Citroen blog.

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent stuff Chris 8-) Doesn't an Activa look funny with Exclusive alloys on it :lol: They really stand out!
User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 43889
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 1780

Re: Citroenmads Citroen blog.

Post by CitroJim »

Chris, on the rust protection front I'll be going for Dynax-S50 and Dynax-UC

I've used the S50 in the past and it's good. The UC should be great for the underbody areas and subframes...
Citroenmad
Posts: 8110
Joined: 04 Dec 2008, 23:08
x 28

Re: Citroenmads Citroen blog.

Post by Citroenmad »

CitroJim wrote:Excellent stuff Chris 8-) Doesn't an Activa look funny with Exclusive alloys on it :lol: They really stand out!
Doesn't it just :lol: However I do like them, they are a very nice looking wheel and look great on the S1. However, im all for purity and so it will have its Activa wheels back in the next few days. Well it has the rears on now, two of those Exclusive wheels are fitted with porous tyres :lol:
CitroJim wrote:Chris, on the rust protection front I'll be going for Dynax-S50 and Dynax-UC

I've used the S50 in the past and it's good. The UC should be great for the underbody areas and subframes...
Yes, thats what Im going for Jim. Im a bit unsure on what the difference is with the Dynax-UC and the Dynax-UB. The S-50 is on my list already. :)
Northern_Mike

Re: Citroenmads Citroen blog.

Post by Northern_Mike »

I think those alloys suit the Activa better than the Activa ones do actually..
bxzx16v
Posts: 1693
Joined: 29 May 2011, 22:11
x 18

Re: Citroenmads Citroen blog.

Post by bxzx16v »

Great job on the wheels Chris . The differences with dynax uc & ub is that the uc is semi transparent and the ub is a brownish colour other than that they are the same . I've got some uc on the Zx's sills and for the inner wings and some s50 sprayed into the sills , great products . I'd give the surfex Hd a try too , a very good all purpose cleaner/degreaser .

Mark
Citroenmad
Posts: 8110
Joined: 04 Dec 2008, 23:08
x 28

Re: Citroenmads Citroen blog.

Post by Citroenmad »

Rattiva_Mike wrote:I think those alloys suit the Activa better than the Activa ones do actually..
I'm glad you said that, as I was thinking the same thing ... as I was driving through town, looking at the reflections in shop windows ... :lol:

The rears especially look better, they seem to stick out slightly more, I doubt they have a different offset but its probably just the design of the wheel. The design makes them look larger too:

Image

However, they are not styaing on :roll:


Thanks for clearing that up Mark :-D I was looking at a detailing website earlier, someone was treating a car with the bilthamber products. They mentioned the cleaner, I'll add that to my shopping list.
Last edited by Citroenmad on 04 Nov 2012, 22:11, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Citroening
Posts: 2512
Joined: 26 Feb 2010, 21:19
x 8

Re: Citroenmads Citroen blog.

Post by Citroening »

I like the Exclusive Alloys Chris - they look a bit more modern than the Activa ones...

Go on, leave them on!! :-D
andmcit
Posts: 4299
Joined: 03 Mar 2005, 18:59
x 17

Re: Citroenmads Citroen blog.

Post by andmcit »

IMHO the Exclusive rims are horrid in looks and for being
a PITA to live with too and not a patch on the Activa.
Citroenmad
Posts: 8110
Joined: 04 Dec 2008, 23:08
x 28

Re: Citroenmads Citroen blog.

Post by Citroenmad »

Your quite right I think Franklin, they are a bit more modern looking. I might well get some tyres for them and alternate, though I'm more likely to put winter tyres on them for the HDi through the cold stuff.
andmcit wrote:IMHO the Exclusive rims are horrid in looks and for being
a PITA to live with too and not a patch on the Activa.
I really like the design of the S2 Exclusive wheels Andrew, though an Activa must have Activa wheels 8-)
User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 43889
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 1780

Re: Citroenmads Citroen blog.

Post by CitroJim »

andmcit wrote:IMHO the Exclusive rims are horrid in looks and for being
a PITA to live with too and not a patch on the Activa.
I generally agree with the thrust of your argument Andrew :wink:

I will say that S2 Exclusives are a LOT easier to keep clean than the S1 Exclusive Magny-Cours and I prefer the S2 ones, I must say.

I like Activa wheels very, very much.
andmcit
Posts: 4299
Joined: 03 Mar 2005, 18:59
x 17

Re: Citroenmads Citroen blog.

Post by andmcit »

The s2's are far too fussy and limp wristed for me! I hate them on the s2's I have
and would actually prefer the bolder s2 minilite wheel trims more. For me Jim,
if given a choice the s1 Exclusive alloys are a bit better though but that's a bit like
choosing between either a full on cold or flu...