Should Top Struts MOVE????!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mattpc

Should Top Struts MOVE????!

Post by mattpc »

Oh dear, took the front wheels off my xantia hdi exc 110, 168,000 to check that the brake pads were not worn out. The discs and pads were fine but I noticed when turning the hub/steering that the whole top strut assembly moves nearer/further away from the front of the car as the steering is turned. I've never noticed this before, surely it cannot be correct and is top strut failure very imminent? :oops:

Second problem is I noticed a small drip coming from the side of the sump nearest the front of the car. It's not oil however, it looks and smells much more like DERV. It's just a little drip that seemed constant when the engine was running.

What can of worms have I opened today? Original check positive but three other faults found (check my other thread for the third fault). I guess the poor old girl hasn't enjoyed the 30k I've racked up in her over the last year...
Xantia number three is..
HDI Exclusive Estate Cat C
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

The strut "swivel" is normal. Trust me. :) 30K in a year is good; I'll come close to that but in km, and thought for a city person that was pretty hard going!

As to the small drip - does it taste like LHM? Quite possibly a small accumulator/regulator leak.

Regards, Adam.
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

I've got hydraflush in at the moment. Don't know what that tastes like or want to know really!!! The drip has a yellowish appearance and smells like fuel but it could be hydraflush I guess.
Xantia number three is..
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

Pretty sure it's fuel. I've put some of the leak on one finger and some hydraflush on the other and this doesnt smell like LHM. It's also on the opposite side from the accumulator sphere. Can't see any leak around the fuel filter but I suppose it could be from a pipe or joint. Might just have to book it in at paris autos :(
Xantia number three is..
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

check all the leak off pipes which are usualy cloth bound rubber pipes, these are the ones which link between all the injectors and back to the fuel pump

regards malcolm
sparky33

Post by sparky33 »

Strut movement is normal, otherwise you couldn't steer and that is also why you have strut top bearings :D

Diesel would be a slightly blue colour not yellow.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

XANTIA's dont have the usual strut top bearings, this is why the top moves as much as it dose

regards malcolm
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Strut top bearings?? !!! What on earth are they !! ?? :lol: :D
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project