Power steering failing on long journeys.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Power steering failing on long journeys.

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Hi, I drove probably my longest journey ever in my citroen Xantia 1.9 TD estate 1998, on April 4th, I made sure she had a good service the previous wednesday ready for the trip but low an behold 200 miles into my journey from Kettering to County Durham after being on pretty straight roads for very long periods the power steering started to seize in other words it felt very tight esspecially when I turned off into the services. after turnning a couple of tight corners normal power steering resumed.

we were towing a car transporter trailer which created the bumpiest ride ever until it was loaded with a GSA on the way back.
however I did not experience any problems with the steering on the journey back. My father has had a similar problem with his 1.9 TD P reg Xantia Hatchback again on a very long journey motorway driving.

has anybody got an explanation for this strange behaviour please? or perhaps there might be a problem with the system pressurizing properly.
after such a long journey my Xany is now dubbed ole faithful around 470 miles in one day I'm esspecially pleased with the car even after ownning her for five years.

regards, Nigel. :D
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Could it be the leakpast of your rear suspension elements, and a flat antisink sphere that cause the supply pressure issues?

What was the tongue weight of your loaded trailer? :shock:
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

I don't think its related to the suspension as the power steering has its own independent pressure supply direct from the pump, what it might be is early signs of pump or rack failure. I take it the universal joint at the bottom of the column is OK?
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Dickie, yes the universal joint at the bottom of the colum is fine I had the colum out recently to see if I could get any closer to the dreaded clutch cable clip.

the car is well looked after LHM completely flushed every 2 years new spheres every five years, oil changes every 3 thousand miles, there is no problem with the ride or braking system and no faults with the steering now besides I don't live on a very long straight road. steering was absolutely fine today no problems at all.

The towing weight was certainly less than the weight of the estate car the loaded GSA weighs in at 950Kg and the trailer 350Kg, the haynes manual says the limit is 1200Kg but somehow I think thats wrong because the mass weight of xantias vary from 1480 to 2040Kg and the trailer nose weight can be from 75 to 85Kg. anyway weights asside the car was presenting with this problem before we loaded the GSA onto the trailer, I did point this out above in my orriginal question and there were no problems at all towing with a loaded trailer, we had it perfectly balanced.

the pwr steering on my Mk2 xantia has always been very light you could easily turn a corner just using your little finger on the wheel so the stiffness seemed a little strange.

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

Maximum towing weight isn't related to the car's kerb weight. I believe it's something like the highest weight the car can pull from a hill start on a certain gradient.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Your steering problem sounds like air in the system.
I guess that over a long distance on motorways it would have time to accumulate (say from a leaky sphere, etc), as the rack wouldn't be excercised much, but twisty roads would bleed any air from the rack 'on the fly'.
Are there any corresponding brake or suspension symptoms, and does turning the wheel lock-to-lock temporarily cure the problem?
falling-out-with-my-car

dnsey, Ive driven the car 50 miles this mornning and no problems at all
yes the stiffness in the steering did dissapear when I turned the steering lock to lock in fact it disapeared completely and hasn't returned at all. seems fine now as if the problem never occurred at all, yet I know it did and as I said before my Dad experienced the same conditions whilst on the A1M and a journey of 200 miles. there are no corresponding brake or suspension symptoms, my rear pads are replaced every three years, front pads annually and there are no leaks in the hydraulic system, Ive had the torch out and had a good look underneath.

regards nigel.