Central Locking - Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

flygirl757
My Cars:

Central Locking - Xantia

Post by flygirl757 »

Hi Guys and Gals,
It's me again - lol. Seem to have developed a problem with my central locking (1994 Xantia 1.9TD). The key-fob locking gave up the ghost about 2 years ago and since then I have been quite happy using the key-in-the-lock method but just recently I have been putting the key in to lock it and it immediately unlocks itself. It is a spasmodic fault - it seems ok for a few weeks and then, out of nowhere, it will act up for a while. It seems electrical but it is so complicated so any ideas as to where my neighbour (lol - cheeky aren't I?) can start would be most appreciated. I've been told that sometimes the wires from the fusebox through the door can 'wear out'. Would this be a good starting point and if they are found to be ok where is the next place to investigate.
Any help gratefully appreciated. Thank you in advance
Love, Michelle XXX
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

well the wires dont wear out but just fracture, if you fiond they have make sure any repair is pushed into the door pillar, if not you will be constantly haveing to fix it,

the other prob which could cause this is the lock mechanisum inside the door/s has become dry, so it is bindding and not going fully into the closed position when the door is shut or the mechanisum is in the locked position

regards malcolm
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

I had the same problem on mine. Looks like it was a dry lock mechanism as citronut says - I sprayed that white lithium grease in the keyhole and it's been fine since
ImageImage
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

is lithium grease water repelant as you have to be carefull what you lube lock barrels with, as when water gets in there with it it can turn the lube into a paste and clogg up your tumblers, i ment to lube the mechanisum inside the door as it never gets looked at untill there is a problem

regards malcolm
Mark
My Cars:

Post by Mark »

citronut wrote:is lithium grease water repelant as you have to be carefull what you lube lock barrels with, as when water gets in there with it it can turn the lube into a paste and clogg up your tumblers, i ment to lube the mechanisum inside the door as it never gets looked at untill there is a problem

regards malcolm
Hi
Just a quick question, would WD40 do the same job without getting blocked, as mine is doing the lockng and unlocking bit with the plip?

Cheers

Mark
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Ive used WD40 for locks over the years on many cars with no problems :wink:
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...