Insurance shock

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Insurance shock

Post by FrenchLeave »

I've just bought a newer ZX to replace my wife's older one. Transferring the insurance I was asked if the car had been modified, I said it hadn't but asked if I fitted Citroen alloys would that count as an alteration. The reply was that it would and that the premium would increase by £54!!!

I think I'll stay with the steel wheels.

PS. I've just seen that DickieG has commented on this in the "insurance groups" post.
1999 XM V6 Exclusive, Black
1994 XM 2.0 TurboCT estate, green of course: now gone to no3 son
2004 C3 1.6 auto exclusive with Sensodrive - the wife's but she doesn't like it
1994 ZX 1.8i auto - the wife's new baby

JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Since you're adding value to the car, the insurance company will increase the premium. After all, if the car was a total loss, you'd be claiming for the new alloys.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Alloys are a favoured target of vehicle robbers too, security bolts be damned :!:

I work with a lad with a V-reg VW Bora (1,6) with snazzy after-market but original VW/Audi shiny alloy wheels that pushed his premium up by around £80.
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

Yes, but £52 extra on a normal insurance premium of £189 is a bit steep. Who would find a set of standard ZX alloys particularly appealing?

I'm no lover of alloys anyway - they're difficult to keep clean and seem to offer no advantage other than appearance. The only reason I considered fitting them was that on the way home from collecting the new(er) car I lost one of the wheeltrims and the old car has alloys.
1999 XM V6 Exclusive, Black
1994 XM 2.0 TurboCT estate, green of course: now gone to no3 son
2004 C3 1.6 auto exclusive with Sensodrive - the wife's but she doesn't like it
1994 ZX 1.8i auto - the wife's new baby

Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

Interestingly my insurance company charges me £120ish extra a year for my morretts, alloys and uprated brakes none of which are covered by the policy should they be damaged or half inched, explain that......................

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

If you bought the car secondhand, and it has OEM wheels on it - how are you expected to know they may not be original?
alloys ...seem to offer no advantage other than appearance
Actually, they can act as a "heatsink" for brake energy. It's nothing major, but a small bonus I like.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

addo wrote:If you bought the car secondhand, and it has OEM wheels on it - how are you expected to know they may not be original?
alloys ...seem to offer no advantage other than appearance
Actually, they can act as a "heatsink" for brake energy. It's nothing major, but a small bonus I like.
Where those wheels are not supplied as standard on that vehichle but offered as an extra and/or fitted only as standard on higher spec models.

Bloody minefield if you ask me. The majority of them look pathetic anyway (like mine) exceptions being some Volvo, Jaguar and C6 alloys.
The Activa ones are OK.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I wonder if our insurers will head the same way? I've added foglights and cruise control, the former proving invaluable on one occasion (made the diffference between driveable and undriveable in prevailing conditions).

It's added a slight notional amount to the vehicle value, and the policy indexed accordingly. Feel sorry for you blokes, especially as stealing a loaf of bread is no longer a workable solution. :wink:

Regards, Adam.
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Deanxm wrote:Interestingly my insurance company charges me £120ish extra a year for my morretts, alloys and uprated brakes none of which are covered by the policy should they be damaged or half inched, explain that......................

D
Begs the question why tell them all they are doing is charging you extra for being honest whilst still not insuring you for the extras you have added.

Seems a bit like going to the chippy,telling them you want salt and vinegar,they charge you extra and then say we dont do salt and vinegar :twisted: :twisted:

Colin
telderv
My Cars:

Post by telderv »

insurance companies are all gits, theres no getting away from it, obscene premiums and nothing but grief when you try to claim
LAGUNA II 1.9DCI DYNAMIQUE