LHM FLUID

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xantic
My Cars: In the past French ones
54 reg C5 Estate vtr
Picasso 2.0 HDI
X reg Xantia 2.0 Hdi
V reg Xantia Exclusive 2.0 hdi
BX Diesel 1.7
C5 2.2 Diesel exclusive auto.

LHM FLUID

Post by Xantic »

Hi
Wheres the best and cheapest place to buy LHM Fluid.

Sorry for such a daft question but don't want to be ripped off by the local motor factors.
Jaguar 2.0 Diesel
Peugeot 407 Diesel
LIVING THE DREAM

Russ..
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

GSF do Morris LHM for just under £4 a litre, and Total for just over.
Or 20Ltr drum for £74.50

They also do hydroflush 20L for under £20 so rather than using it every other lhm change, many of us use it every time we're due a lhm change.

I believe Aldi may even do it, again at a cheaper price than Halfrauds (which if memory serves is over a tenner per litre unless you have a trade card)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

I tried a local Total previously, after all there is even a sticker in the rear window on the O/S on every Xantia.

The first fuel station garage I went to, didn't have any stock, and was not going to get any, the second like the first, again thought it was an engine oil. :evil: Don't you just love it when people do not know the basics! :evil:

They also had no stock although, and an old container I had with me scanned on their bar code system as being on the system, and possible to order, but as I needed it there and then I decided to look else where.

Halfrauds got the sale, as I have a trade card.
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
Xantic
My Cars: In the past French ones
54 reg C5 Estate vtr
Picasso 2.0 HDI
X reg Xantia 2.0 Hdi
V reg Xantia Exclusive 2.0 hdi
BX Diesel 1.7
C5 2.2 Diesel exclusive auto.

Post by Xantic »

Its amazing how many place do not stock it and when they do you swear its liquid gold..

Will search around on the weekend and get some..
Thanks for the replies..
Jaguar 2.0 Diesel
Peugeot 407 Diesel
LIVING THE DREAM

Russ..
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

I got a 5ltr container of Car Plan (Tetrosyl) LHM from the local factors a couple of years ago for £15.99.

Steve.
not applicable
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Xantic wrote:Its amazing how many place do not stock it and when they do you swear its liquid gold..

Will search around on the weekend and get some..
Thanks for the replies..
True so you then end up buying more of it, to have a dependable supply in reserve!

A liquid gold reserve! :wink:
ACTIVA

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i prefer to only use TOTAL or if i must MORRIS, i have also been told many years ago citroen used BENDIX LHM

regards malcolm
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

My local MDC has always sold 1L bottles of Comma LHM+ for less than £5 but last time I bought some, the shop owner did remark they're thinking of not restocking as sales have practically dropped to zero. :cry:
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

With the reducing numbers of cars using LHM+, it might be a sensible precaution to get some stocks in.
1999 XM V6 Exclusive, Black
1994 XM 2.0 TurboCT estate, green of course: now gone to no3 son
2004 C3 1.6 auto exclusive with Sensodrive - the wife's but she doesn't like it
1994 ZX 1.8i auto - the wife's new baby

ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

FrenchLeave wrote:With the reducing numbers of cars using LHM+, it might be a sensible precaution to get some stocks in.
Sounds like a good idea.
ACTIVA

Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

Hi Gents

I too have about 12ltrs of lhm in stock :roll: but i always get it from citroen, My last 5ltrs cost £29.43inc vat which i dont think is too bad although more expensive than you all seem to get it for, i can be sure that they always have it in stock.
Dont get Hydarincage from cit though at £50 for a 5ltr tub its a tad expensive
When gsf do the same stuff in the same container wirth the same label for £15 :?

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

I know I'm going to get slagged for asking this but....How much LHM would I need to replace the whole lot?

The thing is, when we took our delightful '95 Xantia 1.9td (aka 'The Bucket') in for its MOT the guy said he noticed LHM seeping from one of the hydraulic pipes at the front of the car (in the engine bay I think). He went to try and tighten it up and the pipe fractured dumping the full load of LHM all over the floor. My wife, who took the car there, thought it most amusing! Anyway they fitted a new pipe and some new brake pads (for MOT purposes) and then refilled with LHM.

Since then, I have noticed on a few occaissions that the STOP light briefly flickers, usually when pulling away from steep road junctions, then goes out. The flickering lasts for less than a second and everything 'appears' OK. I checked the level of the LHM and it seems OK although its colour was not the luminous green I was expecting, more a yucky yellowy colour. Could he have put the wrong fluid in?

Also, since returning from the garage the handbrake has not been as good as it was, this could be the new front pads of course.

I thought I should also add that we have used this garage for many years for our MOTs and do trust them as being honest. This is only the second time any of our cars has needed work and the last time one did they were quite happy for us to take the car away to be repaired, although in the end we left it with them to do.

Edit: Also to add, It did appear that Citroens were not his speciality though and he didn't seem overly confident about how the system worked. My wife assured me that the other mechanic there seemed to know what he was talking about though.
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

If they didn't know what they were doing, they could have damaged the handbrake fitting the front pads.
They also could have used non-LHM!
Get onto GSF and order a 5L bottle of hydrorincage (hydroflush), check your BoL on how to do the LHM change, it actually covers it reasonably well.
You'll need 4-5L of LHM to re-fill after 1500miles on hydroflush, depending on how much you use to bleed the brakes.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

Thanks Xac. I never thought about the possibility of them damaging the handbrake, but I guess its possible.
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

it shouldnt make any diferance when fitting brake pads to any car were the hand brake is on disc brakes, as they all have to have there pistons wound back in so they should be able to work that out as the only real diferance is the hand brake beeing on the front wheels,

did you check your LHM level with car on level ground, on its highest setting and wait till it has stoped rissing, then the yellow disc in the sight glass on top of the tank should be between the two red bands,

regards malcolm