C5 mk1 Gear Knob

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

waterwytch
My Cars:

C5 mk1 Gear Knob

Post by waterwytch »

Does the gear knob on the mk1 C5 screw on like the Xsara/ZX/Xantia or is it like everything else on the C5,some exotic fixing method, its just the chrome on the top where the gear markings are and has split and broken up and is sharp to the hands,and I feel a twonk driving round with one glove on (ala Michael Jackson) ,so I was looking at a cheap aftermarket (local parts shop) replacement in lovley walnut to match the mock walnut of the exclusives trim,any Ideas fine folks of the forum?
The Silver Bad Dream Machine is going to be fixed (C5 2.2 hdi Exclusive)
All these new hi tech citroens....tell me,really what was wrong with a BX TZD?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

They just pull off but take a lot of pulling as there is a rubber suction cup holding them on (second hand information, haven't tried it personally)
hawkeye

Post by hawkeye »

It's not so much a rubber suction cup as a hard rubber sleeve inside the gear knob that fits tightly on the gear lever. I got mine off by putting some blocks of wood on the floor to act as a fulcrum, and levering the thing off with a crow-bar. A Citroen replacement, if you want to go down that road, was about £25.
waterwytch
My Cars:

Post by waterwytch »

Looks like the aftermarket one at a fiver may be the option,the gaiter is split as well but I think a needle,thread and some glue may fix that,many thanks folks :D
waterwytch
My Cars:

Post by waterwytch »

Did a 'Blue peter' style repair on it today,involving some tasteful brown pvc,a glue gun and a pair of scissors,its now nice and smooth but grippy,like the old Ford RS ones! :wink: