Xsara v Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

windysurferuk

Xsara v Xantia

Post by windysurferuk »

I've had my 2.1td 1998 Xantia for around 5 years now and fancy a change.
The Xantia has been very reliable in my ownership and other than regular maintenance has never really needed any work doing, what it has needed I've been able to do myself (abs sensor,hydraulic pipe spheres etc)

Now I'm thinking of a Xsara 2.0HDi as a replacement but can I expect the same sort of service from it as I've had from the Xantia?
Xantia 2.1TD SX 130000
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Definitely try before you buy, both HDi's (mum's Xsara and dad's Picasso) are unbelievably sluggish, but coming from the 2.1TD it might not be that different ;) (really must get round to Jim's and take Dex for a spin to see if it's any different now he's fixed it)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

I agree try before you buy, but do you really want to downsize?
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
windysurferuk

Post by windysurferuk »

ACTIVE8 wrote:I agree try before you buy, but do you really want to downsize?
That exactly what I want to do.
I owned a ZX volcane TD before the Xantia but bought the Xantia because it was bigger and I could get all my camping gear in.

I own a VW camper so now so don't need such a big car.

The Xsara and the Xantia are both 110bhp are they not?
Xantia 2.1TD SX 130000
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

Both the Xantia and Xsara (and the C5) come in 90HP and 110HP form. The only sure way to tell is look under the bonnet, there is no distinction in badging.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
windysurferuk

Post by windysurferuk »

What I was getting at is that the Xsara (110bhp) shouldn't be any slower than mine Xantia
Xantia 2.1TD SX 130000
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Got a 2.1 and 110bhp HDi Xantia and a 90bhp HDi Series 2 Xsara. The Xsara is a totally different car to the Xantias. Plus points, with the 90 bhp engine, I believe it has slightly lower gear ratios. Its great around town and more economical than the Xantias.

Minus point - less eonomical than the Xantia HDi on a motorway run, about the same as the 2.1. Less room in side, I'm just over 6ft and can't really get the seat far enough back. It is considerably noisier than the Xantia, especially on the motorway and as you would expect, the ride's not as good.

Don't get me wrong the Xsara is a nice car - its just not a (mini) Xantia.

Regards
Rory
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

windysurferuk wrote:What I was getting at is that the Xsara (110bhp) shouldn't be any slower than mine Xantia
Parents' 90bhp hdi's shouldn't be any slower than Cassy's 90bhp TD (especially as she's got the hdi gearbox and is heavier), but they are.
Mostly, I would say it's down to the ECU on their cars restricting them.
The ride is horrible in comparison to the xantia too.
Unless the 2.1 is giving you trouble, I'd stick with it, we know it's a solid engine, we know renewing things like suspension is a dead easy job and cheap, and probably most important, you know it's history.
Even if a car has a full dealer service, it doesn't mean it was done properly.
Look at the number of xantias which have never had their accumulator or antisink sphere replaced, or their LHM changed, despite being dealer serviced.

DIY sphere tool
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

I owned a 2.1 Xantia for seven years but have now moved on to a 2 HDI C5. We also have a 90 bhp Xsara in the family fleet. The Xsara is certainly sluggish compared to the other two. If you are going for one, make sure it's the 110bhp you get. However, with the benefit of hindsight, providing it is not giving trouble, I would advice keeping the 2.1
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

From a reliability point of view you cant beat the 2.1 IDI engine, the HDI may be a little more economical but is potentially prone to expensive failures, DMF and injection system to name but a few.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

If I had the 2.1td I would be inclined to keep it, for the reasons mentioned in the other replies.

Its better to stick with the devil you know, with its known service history.
ACTIVA

ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

The Xantia is a good package.

The Xsara when new sold for less than the Xantia, offered less NVH (noise, vibration, and harshness) I.E. quality of build, as everything is built/made to a price, so you get what you pay for!

In as much as the Xantia will be, and is an improvement over its predecessor the BX, the Xantia will an improvement over the Xsara.

It's the same with the C5 for example it does offer a quality, and an experience, above the models beneath it.
ACTIVA

windysurferuk

Post by windysurferuk »

I think you've convinced me.
The Xantia has just passed it's MOT, only needing the middle section of exhaust, so it seems silly not to run it for another year

thanks for the replies :D
Xantia 2.1TD SX 130000
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

I agree with Xac's comments on (main) Dealer servicing:

For the first 10 years and 67,000 miles (with the original owner) our 1.9TD sx was serviced and MoT'd annually by the supplying dealer. In that time, the cambelt, auxiliary belt and LHM were never changed, nor were the spheres. The 'anti-sink' sphere was on its way out as were the rear spheres - maybe the size of the dealer's estimate of work at/before the next annual service was what prompted the sale of arguably one of the best S1 Xantia Estates.
The coolant should (may) have been changed - just once.
The problem (and it applies to all vehicles) is that service schedules are designed around an annual mileage of 15-20,000. The schedule may mention an optimistic time period for things like coolant and belts - but dealers seem to work entirely on mileage and of course they have a negative interest in vehicle longevity!
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Good point old-guy, if they miss things like belt changes, spheres, LHM etc, and then slap the owner with a massive quote for it all to be done in one go (even though they've already paid for it to be done in previous services), that owner is more likely to say "tell you what, take the car from me and give me a newer one"

DIY sphere tool