Citroen Xantia Exclusive 2.0 HDI info needed

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xantic
My Cars: In the past French ones
54 reg C5 Estate vtr
Picasso 2.0 HDI
X reg Xantia 2.0 Hdi
V reg Xantia Exclusive 2.0 hdi
BX Diesel 1.7
C5 2.2 Diesel exclusive auto.

Citroen Xantia Exclusive 2.0 HDI info needed

Post by Xantic »

Hi Everyone
Just bought an Xantia Exclusive with the 2.0 HDI engine. Very pleased with it so far although i have only owned it for a week.

Just wondering if theres any special or imprtant things i should look for or know..There does not seem to be any problems with it but i do like to be prepared..I did own a V6 Omega before buying the Xantia but economy was the main reason but i did want a comfortable car with a nice ride and i went for the Xantia for that reason..It also has all the toys with leather so i am well pleased..
Any info would be appreciated. Hope i have not stepped out of line by adding a photo in this post.
TIA
Russ..
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

Welcome Russ

The more photos the merrier. 8)
ImageImage
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Check out the health (or otherwise) of the strut tops first. Fresh LHM
fluid and suspension spheres may even help the ride get smoother still
dependent on how well the car rides already. I read heard recently at my
local Cit Indy that running the fuel low in the tank can but excessive strain
on the tank lift pump which can fail on the HDi's although I don't currently
own on of these engines myself at the moment...

Everything else is covered here on the forum so if something does crop up
you'll get a better idea of what needs doing to sort it. The Xantia is a very
robust and forgiving car and should last well with normal TLC and nothing
in the Citroen side of things is insurmountable either.

Happy Citroening!
Andrew
Xantic
54 reg C5 Estate vtr
Picasso 2.0 HDI
X reg Xantia 2.0 Hdi
BX Diesel 1.7

I have plenty of photos....

Post by Xantic »

Ross_K wrote:Welcome Russ

The more photos the merrier. 8)
:

Just a couple more for you.

hirsty
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by hirsty »

You shouldn't have a problem with the struts 'cos it's a Mk II.
98 Xantia Mk2 2.0 16v Auto Exclusive 160k + Now gone to Citroen Heaven
2004 C5 Mk 1 2.0 8V VTR Estate - current. Now with leather.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Not too many issues with teh HDI's iirc, just make sure you replace the whole housing IIRC when you change the fuel filter as it makes life easier in the long run and isn't much more pricey as the seals never seal correctly again from what i have read.

Also again the low fuel thing is right as the pump works overtime and when it starts sucking up air it causes it to overheat.
Also watch the underside of the car as the fuel cooler is not very well held onto the body so any light catches on the underside try to tug the thing off :(

Make sure the coolant has been done as well as the water pump at the timing belt change interval as it will help the heatermatrix live that little bit longer(known xantia weakspot) and just keep ontop of the sphere changes and lhm as mentioned.

Personally my oil has been in the car since 226k (it says so on the oil filter!) and reasly is not due for another 5k(on 231k now) which is far too long, especially when i can get it changed for £22 at national on special offer at the minute :)

As above just keep ontopof the servicing and TLC and it will last for a very long time as some come up on ebay with massive milages, last one was at 290k which im sure without much hassle mine will reach as well!
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

It could be worth lubricating the height corrector linkages when you have time. I like to do mine twice a year at least. Obviously make sure the car is properly supported on stands before getting under it.

Well worth checking the pollen filter too, these seem to get missed during servicing. If you have some spare cash putting a AC anti bacterial cleaner through it helps nip any nasty smells in the bud to. I used the Valeo Clim (?) from GSF on my Xantia when I had it.

Steve.
not applicable
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Just remembered door hings as well. the welds on the doors themselves seem to be rather weak on mk2's from my own purchases and either fail or corrode after time so make sure its well lubricated and kept clean as well!

Both of mine have rusted on the top one and made the door drop, my current one isn't as bad but has still dropped a little and even welding them up again fails after a while... i reckon its dirt that gets into the hinge making it stiff and compounded with rust on the welds puts more pressure on them causing them to fail.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

The main weld issue is poor initial quality. It's one of those things which should have been a recall.

I have a belief that the original spec was a safety issue, as well. Both sides but not top or bottom of the hinge mounting flange, were intentionally welded with deep penetration. In the event of catastrophic impact, the welded hinge "tears" slowly away as it tries to pull the stiffener out in a long strip. Thus the door remains attached to the car for longer in progressive failure mode, increasins safety for occupants.

However, the welds often don't penetrate and bond fully with the post stiffener. Compounding it, many people lightly re-weld around the periphery of the hinge with a bead of questionable ductility. Then it may readily pull away again like a plug.

If I had another fail, I'd set the hinge mount flange with a couple of small tapped bolts in the centre, cold cut the original beads out with a carbide-tipped blade and then re-weld the vertical runs after drilling an inspection hole inside the pillar. I'd want to see good colour on that stiffener!

Regards, Adam.
Bren
My Cars:

Post by Bren »

Welcome!

Your car looks very nice indeed - did you have much grief with your omega?
A car I always fancied, especially the V6, but I have heard too many horror stories....
96'Xantia 1.9 td estate
93'gsxr- 750
85' Rover 3500 (work in progress)
Xantic
54 reg C5 Estate vtr
Picasso 2.0 HDI
X reg Xantia 2.0 Hdi
BX Diesel 1.7

Post by Xantic »

Thanks for all the replies.

Will do some preventative maintenence asap.
As for the Omega..A great car..As long as you service them regular they are fine..There is a good forum with a good bumch of lads too.

Just sold my Omega tonight..
Elite model with all the toys..Sorry to see it go but economy is a must..
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

Welcome to the forum. I think you'll enjoy the HDi :)

Looks a nice tidy Xantia too
Xantic wrote:...There is a good forum with a good bumch of lads too.

Just sold my Omega tonight..
Elite model with all the toys..Sorry to see it go but economy is a must..
Would that happen to be the old cav-web forums which I believe is now called something else?

I always liked the look of the Omega, though I ended up with a Vectra - 2.5 V6 - did exactly the same as you and sold it for a Xantia HDi. Do miss it
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
Xantic
54 reg C5 Estate vtr
Picasso 2.0 HDI
X reg Xantia 2.0 Hdi
BX Diesel 1.7

Post by Xantic »

KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Are they the ones where on one bank the spark plugs need the manifold moving or are very very difficult to get to? kinda like the xantia v6 i guess :)
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

Just a thought, check the crankshaft pulley whilst you're at it. These are a 2 piece metal design with a rubber infill to dampen crankshaft vibrations but they tend to fall apart which can lead to the disintegrating rubber getting behind the timing belt with obvious consequences.

Steve.
not applicable