brake lights not working 406

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dazdaz

brake lights not working 406

Post by dazdaz »

I have just been pulled up and been told i have no brake lights on my y reg 406 dose any body know what number the fuse is ( i have checked them all be i just want to double check ) failing that as any body got any ideas about getting the switch out it looks a right s**t to get to, cheers daz
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Have you checked the switch at the top of the brake pedal pendant? I ask as today I have been in that area of a 406 for the opposite reason, brake lights staying on.

The switch is on a bracket right at the top of the pendant and you have to lie upside-down in the footwell to see it. Access is very poor indeed :twisted:

What seems to happen is the switch mounting collar comes loose and allows the switch to float around.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
dazdaz

Post by dazdaz »

thanks for your reply.i have tried to take the switch out but i can only just touch it with my finger so god only knows how it comes out.any ideas
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

No, I'm afraid not Daz. I was a mere bystander whilst someone yongnger and more supple dived in :lol: The problem in his case was resolved by wriggling it a bit with his fingertips and getting it tight again.

As to getting at it properly, after having had a look, goodness only knows. I'd hazard a removal of the lower dash trim below the steering wheel shroud will be a big help but it may be necessary to drop the steering column.

Horrid :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
dazdaz

Post by dazdaz »

i have got a feeling its going to be a right nightmere,probly leave it to local garage,thank you very much for you help
_kid_

Post by _kid_ »

most probably the brake light switch if all 3 are not working. dont know on the 406, but on the xsara access is very easy, conversly on the 306 access is difficult.

btw the switch is only a few pounds, or may only need adjusting in its housing if the switch is ok.
currently no citroens :-(
1.4 2000 forte now gone too
xantia 1.8i 16v dimension 1996P now gone,
xantia 1.9td 1999

Post by xantia 1.9td 1999 »

I recently had the same problem on my 306 hdi, the haynes manual pointed at removing the whole dashboard in order to replace the brake light switch. I paid a visit to the local pug dealer and was suprised that they quoted me just short of 30pounds labour to replace it, they must have a special tool. I would check to make sure all the bulbs are ok, however if all brake lights aint working it points a finger at the switch..

I would ask the dealers and if they only charge as little as 30pounds then youv got peace of mind, if a local garage has replaced one before then fine otherwise i would presonally go to a dealer. I say this because i recently got a clutch cable replaced from a local garage, the chap struggled to get if off in the first place, after replacing it i now have an engine managment light on the dashboard thats magically appeared and also the cable rattles.

hope this helps
TehAgent
My Cars:

Post by TehAgent »

Check the bulbs, i know its a simple idea, but remember the 406 has double filament bulbs on the rears, make sure the lower of the two filaments hasn't blown.

The switch Jim is referring to, was the one on my car, unfortunately although i took pictures of it, i have since deleted them, so i cant upload any to show you, but i can describe it, there is a black box held in place by what looked like a white plastic screwing over sleeve, about half inch long.

For access to the switch (you will require a small torch)

move the driver seat as far back as possible, raise the steering wheel unpop the clips holding the carpeted underside in place and remove, then laying back down on the drivers seat with your ass hanging out the door, shimmy under the steering column.

using your head (literally) place it on the brake pedal and push as hard as you can, this will release the pressure from the brake pedal on the switch, using the torch, shine the light up until you see a white circular adjustment screw over the switch housing, there should be a black push button switch sticking out, if its not sticking out at least a quarter inch, then its stuck and this is the bane of your problem, try a bit of WD40 on it like i did, lube that thing up good and see if it pops back out.

Well i hope that makes sence.
1990 Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo (The Fast One)