Hdi driveshaft seals.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Hdi driveshaft seals.

Post by lexi »

This is a car I may be offered for a song. 2001 hdi 110 bhp estate,
Drives well though!
There are a few issues most of which are common enough. I have been told that driveshaft oil seals are leaking and it is a song and dance to fix?

True? or not! Anything else to look for? Well of course there is :lol:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Not quite a 'song and dance', but certainly not a major job if you're reasonably handy.
Just make sure that the leaky seals haven't allowed most of the oil to drain from the gearbox and damaged it as a result.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The only potential song and dance I can foresee is releasing the RH driveshaft centre bearing from it's housing. It can sometimes be a bit of a devil but a clold chisel and hammer (both big) always brings forth results.

You should be able to do both seals without removing the driveshafts completely despite it being an ML5 'box. You can on a BE3.

Take care to tap the new seals home squarely and without damaging them. There are special tools for the job but a block of wood does a perfectly adequate job.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Thanks a lot guys. I have bought this car as a project. Pick it up next week. Am I mad or what? :lol: .
My other1.9 TD is going great. I will suss this one out totally and if it really is a better car after the repairs and Mot then I may keep it.

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

lexi wrote: Am I mad or what? :lol:
Not at all lexi :lol: A project is the best relaxation I know and you'll find an HDi a joy once it's all on-song again. The engine is a dream :)

Well worth doing in my opinion. What else is wrong with it?

Now had you bought a V6 as a project then I may have questioned your sanity :wink: I do mine quite often at the moment :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Yeah . You`re right Jim. It`s a great game played slowly.

Well my info is a few anti roll bar bushes and TRE. The brakes are supposedely down to near metal at the front which the owner finds strange as he put new discs pads and a caliper on 1 yr ago so we will see.

He also got a story that axleshaft seals were weeping and that special "races " would be needed? :roll: .

Suspension is sticking at times but then owner says he never moves it as he is ........frightened in case it never went back up again :lol: .

So it may be height correctors or roll bar adustment/failure. I will keep you posted.

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
George

Re: Hdi driveshaft seals.

Post by George »

lexi wrote:This is a car I may be offered for a song. 2001 hdi 110 bhp estate,
Drives well though!
There are a few issues most of which are common enough. I have been told that driveshaft oil seals are leaking and it is a song and dance to fix?

True? or not! Anything else to look for? Well of course there is :lol:
Easy fix and not expensive either.

Has this car recently had the gearbox off? I ask because the main cause of this problem is the overfilling of the gearbox with oil.