Cleaning Turbo

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Cleaning Turbo

Post by myglaren »

Not mine, I hasten to add.

This is for an internet friend in the land of the Kiwi, who needs advice on how to clean his currently off-the-car turbo.

The car wasn't born in France, unfortunately but I'm sure we won't hold that against him will we :)

Kerosene has been proposed but I wonder how the bearings will like that treatment?

Also, when flicked with a finger, the blades only rotate ¼ turn, shouldn't they spin more freely than that?
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

The turbo will most likely needs a new core. TBH for most this is very expensive. I would get a good used one to replace it and get it recon'd professionally, should be no more than £100 for a recon.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Re: Cleaning Turbo

Post by ACTIVE8 »

myglaren wrote:

Also, when flicked with a finger, the blades only rotate ¼ turn, shouldn't they spin more freely than that?
Yes, they should rotate more than that.
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

Hi Myglaren

I think a recon turbo will be a lot more than £100, you can get a poor mans rebuild kit for £40 which will be fine so long as the turbine and compressor wheels are not damaged and the castings arent cracked.
You get bearings and oil seals which should cure the stiff shaft your friend seems to have, i think as the seals start to leak the oil that comes out carbonises and gummies it all up inside.

Good luck
D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Thanks for the replies so far guys.
I'm sure it all will be helpful and confirms suspicions that there was a fault with the turbo that simple cleaning wouldn't fix.