Xantia: What further?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mark_l

Xantia: What further?

Post by mark_l »

Hi everybody!
I own my 1997 Xantia 2.0i 7 years. 170 KKm.
All this period it was very comfort and reliable car.
But one month ago i discovered LHM i the cabin and main brake valve leaking. In the garage they said me, that the valve is not repairable, they have not spares for it ( ?!?!?! :( :shock: ) and I had be forced to buy a new one for $ 400!
This story bring me to think that soon another units will fail.

Does anybody have average statistics (as function of km) about failure of:
-High pressure pump
-steering mechanism
-pressure valve
-sturts
-whatever....

Enother problem is rubber return hoses. They became very fragile. Price of new set here is too high.
Where can I buy it?
Are there alternative decisions?-it not seems complicated or impossible to replace them by regular oil-resistant hoses.
:D :D

Enoter question: there is slight leakage from the cup in bottom of pressure regulation valve (with spring inside). Is the cup made of plastic?
Mark
Xantia 97 2.0i SX 185 KKm SOLD
C5 II 2.0 SX 2006 Petrol 80 KKm SOLD
Opel Insignia Petrol 2000 turbo 0 Km
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

hi Mark

the repair parts required for your brake valve (dozer valve) are

rubber protector/cap 95640067 and it cost's 8.53 uk pounds

retainning ring 5424455 and it cost's 6.25 uk pounds

what country are you in

regards malcolm
mark_l

Post by mark_l »

Thanks, Malcolm!
My heart (and purse) is broken!!!
There are not many Xantias here in Israel, so I paid a price... :oops:
Have You any info about rubber hoses?
Regards
Mark :D
Mark
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

So, the parts are not too expensive, and if you get the car repaired then you can keep your rare (as you mentioned, in Israel) car going!

I suppose the logistics of getting the parts there, or the knowledge of Citroen hydraulics, and spheres might be more of an issue!
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
mark_l

Post by mark_l »

ACTIVE8 wrote:I suppose the logistics of getting the parts there, or the knowledge of Citroen hydraulics, and spheres might be more of an issue!
Exactly!
Add also the age (12 years)-I don't know what is durability of rest units listed above. Each of them may surprise me any moment inspite the hydraulic system was serviced "by book".
It is a great car, reliable, nice, comfortable, I really love it, but nothing to do-I"ll must sale it for nothing and buy something japan car... :cry: :oops:
Mark
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Durability is normally pretty good!

It's a design perfected over many years, with many different models, and still going strong in current models.

To change to a non-sphered car, will result in a compromised ride compared to the Xantia.

There is a vast difference in comfort.
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
mark_l

Post by mark_l »

Right!
IMHO only american cars may be compared and maybe Sonata of Hunday or Toyota Camry :?
Mark
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Mark, the other things that may fail and cause notable inconvenience are strut tops (at 1997 manufacture, this is quite possible), coolant pipes to the interior and the heater "core" itself.

There are some honest and long-time members here on the forum who might be able to assist in purchase and shipping of parts from the UK, where they may be cheaper than buying locally.

If the timing belt is not replaced every six years or 80,000km it may break suddenly, too.

Be advised that the last problem you had with hydraulic fluid in the car, could well be simple failure of what we call the "brake (or doseur) valve boot" - not an internal failure and a separate item that can be replaced far more cheaply by an informed mechanic.

Regards, Adam.
mark_l

Post by mark_l »

Thank You very much, Adam!
My car is serviced quite good, including timing belt replacement @ 70 Kkm (it is hot here), oils, filters, spheres etc...
What I am "afraid" of is to be surprised by unsuspected failures like strut tops or coolant pipes as per your warning.
If I understand correct "strut top" You mean the rubber joint, which connect the strut to body? How is it build?
Are there any signs, which I can check for to fix the problem before it will be "too late"?
Can You please to "forward" me to "some honest and long-time members here on the forum who might be able to assist in purchase and shipping of parts from the UK"?
Thanks a lot again and have a nice weekend!
Mark
marsalek
My Cars: Xantia X2 HDi109
C5 X7 HDi240

Post by marsalek »

Mark_l, if you need some spare parts, I could send you something from Germany. A 5 kg parcel is for about 35 euros and needs 12 days, a parcel under 2 kg (but absolutely not insured) is for about 14,- but needs 30+ days for delivery.

Karel
mark_l

Post by mark_l »

Karel, thanks a lot! :)
I will send you mail with my details.
Another question is "how to make sure, that I order correct part"?
Is there any catalog with parts numbers according models and manufacturing year?
Sorry, if too much questions. :oops:
Mark
bruno
My Cars:

Post by bruno »

Hi mark_l, I sympathize with what you say, Xantia are rare here in my neck of the woods as well!

Given that the climate in Israel is closer to what we see here in Brazil, you may run into similar problems.

Apart from this problem with the rubber cap in the brake valve (or brake doseur), you have to watch out all the things made out of rubber. Gaiters rupture and in dusty environments it's a matter of time before bearings let go. I've also had problems with the main pump sealing rings, and the dreaded "y" junction near the front height corrector.

Rubber pipes are not overly expensive in the local Citroëns (equiv. 150 euros for the main return pipe), but I've heard success stories from people who constructed similars from high pressure hidraulic pipes at a fraction of the cost.

In order to order the correct path, sign up to service.citroen.com (it may require some creativity) and enter your cars chassis number.

You can also try your luck with peugeot mechanics. The metal pieces are similar to 405s and 406. Unless you have an Activa. Good luck!
Xantia SX mk. 1 2.0 16v petrol hidropneumatique
mark_l

Post by mark_l »

Hi, Bruno!
To say honestly until to last story my Xantia was not "woods on my neck".
Beyond routine services and replacements like tires, battery, brake pads etc. the problems I had were replacement of crankshaft pulley, struts return pipes, main & rear spheres and anti-sink valve's rear plug O-Ring.
Appr. $ 1000-1200 including labor.
IMHO-not too much for so old lady... What makes me sad-spares prices and surprises: sudden faults.
This is a reason why I want to replace all rubber hoses and it seems I"l replace all of them by HP hydraulic pipes as You describe-I just repaired cracked steering return pipe by this way. It works fine appr two years.
I inspected all rubber parts-them seems OK. The only thing I don't know how to check is rubber joint which connects strut and body. :?
BTW-how can I see prices on "service.citroen.com"? The only I see is *** :wink:
Thanks a lot!
Regards
Mark
:D
Mark
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

The strut tops are metal coated in protective rubber.
The rubber perishes, lets in moisture which causes the metal to corrode (if you check out the strut top thread you'll see what to check for).
Where in Israel are you?

I've got a friend coming over for Pesach and I'm sure she'd be willing to take back any small items.
She's based in Ra'anana.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
mark_l

Post by mark_l »

Xac,
Appr 0.5 year ago I checked this area (I had no idea what exactly to check)-the thread seems like new-maybe because of dry climate here, in Arad.
The visible rubber semi-sphere (below the metal hydr. sphere bracket) was without cracks or damages.
Next week I"ll check it again.
Thank You for your kind proposal!
:D
Mark