Xsara 1.6i starting problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mark b

Xsara 1.6i starting problems

Post by mark b »

Hi everyone

A lady friend of mine has an intermittant problem with starting her 2002 Xsara 1.6i.

Frequently when she goes to start it the starter fails operate. The dash powers up and the car will bump start easily.

It can start up ok for days on end, then refuse to start for a few days, occasionally if the key is wiggled around a bit then it will start.

I have checked the wiring, and am sure the starter itself is fine, the ignition switch seems ok as well so is it a possible immobiliser fault?

Any advice is very much appreciated

Mark
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: Xsara 1.6i starting problems

Post by wheeler »

mark b wrote: I have checked the wiring, and am sure the starter itself is fine, the ignition switch seems ok as well so is it a possible immobiliser fault?
The factory fitted transponder imobiliser doesnt inhibit the starter motor so you can rule that out. Are you getting power down to the starter solenoid when the car fails to crank ? If you are then it can only be the starter or the earth.
mark b

Post by mark b »

Cheers wheeler, was wondering what effect the immobiliser has on the system, so i will have a look at the starter circuit now