XM V6 cat

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

grmeek

XM V6 cat

Post by grmeek »

Hi There,
Just a quick question, My father has a 1989 XM 3.0 V6 that comes with a catalitic converter as standard and would like to know if it is possible to take out the cat and replace it with a length of pipe.
Would it pass an MOT and would it affect the EGR ?
Thanks
Graeme Meek
adrianeaton
My Cars:

Post by adrianeaton »

Hi Graeme
It depends on the age of the car. If it's a pre '93 car then almost certainly you will be able to remove the cat without any problems with the MOT.
Cat's only became a requirement on new vehicles manufactured some time around July '92, and existing models from 1/1/93. Both my BX and my wife's old ZX were K plates, but mine is a 92 and is OK to remove the cat. The ZX must keep it.
For a definitive answer you can ring the MOT helpline that the Vehicle Inspectorate operate (number might well be on your current MOT) and quote the VIN number - they'll be able to tell you if it should be checked or not.
If you do remove it make sure the lamda probe is still in place as this is required by the ECU still to keep the mixture correct.
You may not notice much difference in performance unless the cat is collapsing and blocking the exhaust off!!
Adrian