Commuting

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Commuting

Post by RichardW »

As you may know part of the reason I do high miles, is that I commute from lanark to Grangemouth every day (30 miles each way). In the summer it's not too bad, as the views are OK. In the winter it's dark and often wet and miserable. However, 2 weeks a year, the sun is just coming up as I leave Lanark, and this is the view across the Pentlands towards Edinburgh (taken at 06:50 - I start at 07:30 :? ) last friday, 6th March):

Makes it all worthwile 8)

I was also remined recently that I'm glad that a) I can do my own car repairs and b) I moved from Reading to Scotland, after I read about someone paying £750 in labour for a clutch change on a Scenic DCi - 8 hours at £80 + VAT / hour :shock: :?
Richard W
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Hmm, the view on your commute is somewhat different to mine on the now rare occasion I drive, A40, Hanger Lane Gyratory and the North Circular Road :cry:. What is it about the NCR in that region of London, almost everyone drives as if they are in the "Wild West"! I appear to be the only person there who's in possession of a driving licence and wishes to keep it :roll: .

Hence why I now cycle via a very different route :D
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

That view resurrects some memories.
The day after I was married, (in Whitby, Yorkshire)I had to take the train to Worcester, meet my boss, drive him to London and to the hotel I was supposed to be in, then take the company Volvo back to Whitby, load my new wife's gear into it then drive down to Immingham and get the ferry back to Sweden.

It was November 1973, in the grip of the fuel crisis and a pretty heave winter.
On the return journey from London (starting at around 10pm) It was freezing cold, foggy and lots of snow around.
Had to pull in to just about every service station for the regulatory £5 of petrol.

Hal way up the A1 I was almost asleep at the wheel, pulled in to a service station, filled the tank to the brim (they hadn't heard of the shortages) an had several cups of strong coffee.
No help as I was still in danger of dozing off. Pulled ito a layby and tried to sleep but was turning into an icicle after half an hour.
Pressed on with thoughts of new wife waiting and have to be in Immingham by 2pm that day (early morning by now).

It was a nightmare, trying to keep warm but having to open all the windows to try and stay awake.

Got to around York and dawn broke. The classical picture postcard scene of a red sky over fields covered in snow and frosted trees. It was so beautiful and uplifting I was instantly awake, the remainder of the journey a magical drive - no other cars on the road, too early and no fuel.

The scene was similar to the photo above, touched by magic and a bit of Disney. It is one of the most memorable days and night of my life, just the dawn breaking on the snowfields.

The rest of the day wasn't quite so magical, unfortunately, although it had its moments.

There is a lot left unexplained in the above but it is so complex it would need a whole thread on its own.