Main feed pipe to HP pump info request

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Main feed pipe to HP pump info request

Post by admiral51 »

Hi all
on my 1.9td Xantia (1998 s1) i have noticed a small crack in the pipe leading from the LHM resevoir to the HP.
This is leaking a small amount of LHM but nothing significant at present but reckon it will cause an MOT failure...due end of this month :( :(
There is a reasonable amount of slack in the pipe and the crack is situated approx 2 feet from the HP.
Does anyone know the internal diamiter of this pipe as im sure i can obtain a pipe joiner providing i can generate a clean/straight cut in the pipe and im 99% sure this pipe is only under suction not pressure
My only other cause for concern is if the pipe has a larger internal diameter through the main pipe than that at the HP end :? :?

Cheers in advance

Colin
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

IIRC the pipe is wider at the pump join than at the midway point, once the pipe starts to split it becomes quite brittle, as the pipe is merely under suction can you not simply bodge it using electrical insulating tape?

A couple of years ago I was quoted £150 for a new pipe :shock: .
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I sliced mine when replacing the acc sphere.
Replaced it with a length of garden hose that runs over the top of the engine to the resevoir, clamped on to the pump and res with jubilee clips.
Passed the MoT without a problem and is still going strong.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Regardless of the MOT it needs to be done because it could allow air into the hydraulic system which could cause lack of pressure.

You probably could repair it by cutting the affected section out and replacing it with a piece of copper pipe.
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

B+Q sell some pipe on the Eliza Tinsley stand that fits. Not sure it would be any good long term mind.

Steve.
not applicable
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i think the bore is around 6mm

regards malcolm
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

If the middle part is cracking, I would also expect the end corner piece on the HP Pump to be on its way out soon too. I suggest using a pipe joiner with a new stretch of reinforced hosepipe/petrol pipe (can't remember the exact name) going straight to the pump, possibly taking another route to avoid kinking.

When my HP corner end cracked I found that I had enough pipe to play with to just cut the offending crack out and push it back onto the HP Pump with a jubilee clip by taking the suction pipe a slightly different route.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Im pretty sure i can get away with a plastic joiner if i can cut the pipe square :oops: :oops:
im looking at something that is similar in design to the tapered end on the fuel primer bulb but double ended with a rounded buttress :? in the middle
I would normally just try and tape it up but as im keeping the car for the long haul (ie forseeable future :lol: ) thought it best to try and fix it on a more permanent basis hence the need for the internal bore diameter before i go and cut it :) :)
Think the damage was caused whilst i had the seal replaced on the HP pretty sure they bent the pipe to clamp it :twisted:

will update this weekend on which method used and hopefully where i sourced the joiner :D :D

Colin
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

I had a similar problem and found some universal plastic pipe joints in my local tropical fish shop.A few jubilee clips and some suitable plastic pipe and you're away.I was strongly advised not to use rubber brake hose as LHM disolves it over time aparantly.
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)