Xsara knocking has got worse after changing rear brakes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Nuneatonrob
My Cars:

Xsara knocking has got worse after changing rear brakes

Post by Nuneatonrob »

Hi,

Some of you may remember i posted a message about my Xsara knocking at the back end when going over bumps or rough surfaces.

I know one of the chaps on here mentioned it could be the shockabsorbers at fault.

I at first thought they were OK, as they showed no signs of leakage, and looked to be in fairly good condition. However, I am now suspecting the rear shocks ARE at fault?

The reason being is I had to replace the rear pads and discs at the weekend in order to pass the MOT, and since doing this the knocking has got worse, particularly under braking on anything but a smooth road surface.

I checked out all the rear axle mounts, and they all seemed to look fine, and in a serviceable condition. The rear arms look fine and there is no excess movement in it at all. (as verified by the MOT)

Does this sound to you like it's the shocks at fault? Stange thing is, it just now passed the MOT. (Albeit after changing all the discs and pads and one bulb!!)

If it is the shocks, would you recommed gas or oil filled units?

Thanks chaps

Rob
'99 Xsara HDI SX 90
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

where/are the pads loose in the callipers, maybe they are clattering about, when there is a knocking related to the shockers its usualy the eye bushes shot, allowing them to rattle/knock,

when you checked the subfram/axle mountting bushes, how and were did you lift and support the rear of the car, if liftted in the centre on the axle beam you would not be able to find torn/broken axle mountting bushes, as the weight of the car is still on them,

regards malcolm
Nuneatonrob
My Cars:

Post by Nuneatonrob »

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I jacked the car up via the jacking point on the sill, and supported it on axle stands at another point underneath, but not on the rear axle. The rubbers on the frame all looked to be reasonable. Some slight deteriation was apparent, but nothing was pulling away, or very badly cracked or perrished.

The pads are definatley not rattling, and the noise is more of a thumping than rattling. Plus the pads are genuine Peugeot/Citroen (the factors had some he got at a good price) The caliper brackets were all tortqued up and thread lock put on the bolts.

In my mind, I am thinking that the increased braking force now being applied at the back, is making the wheel more suseptable to bouncing on the road??? would this sound right, or just stupid? The brake force was quite low and uneven before due to worn pads, and warped corroded warn discs.

I can feel the back pull down slightly now, when coming to a stop, which it didn't do before I changed the brake friction parts.

Cheers,

Rob
'99 Xsara HDI SX 90
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

when these bushes go they usualy just become unbonded from the metal part,

even genuine pads can be a loose fit in a calliper, if the the calliper body has eroded at the point the pads run/sit in them

regards malcolm
Nuneatonrob
My Cars:

Post by Nuneatonrob »

Any ideas anybody? I am getting rather concerned about the car at the minute. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Any ideas on how best to go about testing the shocks on the car, or do i need to take one off really?

Cheers,

Rob
'99 Xsara HDI SX 90
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

to test if a shocker is working you just bounce on the rear end of the car, to see if it rebounds much, and to check for knoking/banging just crawl under the rear end and try yanking/pulling and pushing them, to see if there is any movment in the bushes

regards malcolm